Rattle from Deck

Old 06-29-09, 10:44 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Rattle from Deck

Got a Craftsman lawn tractor, 42' cut. I recently replaced the "mandrel" as I bent it and it messed up the bearings in it.

Everything seemed to work well for about 2 mowings of the lawn. Then a rattle type noise, like something is loose, started on the same side that I installed the new mandrel.

I checked to make sure all screws holding the mandrel were tight, that the nut on the pulley was tight, etc. They were are tight.

Any ideas or suggestions...

Old 06-29-09, 11:02 AM
Start checking all the hardware on the deck. Belt guards, mounting brackets, other mandrels, etc.

Old 06-29-09, 11:58 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Blade on the new mandrel would be my first thought.

Old 06-29-09, 05:45 PM
S
I put new blades on when I changed the mandrel. What might I look for on the blade on the new mandrel? Beer 4U2Beer 4U2

Should I take it off and maybe put it on again to make sure it is seated correctly?

Old 06-29-09, 08:49 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Make sure it is locked on to the star pattern on the mandrel shaft. Also look for a thin spot in the belt. Usually a bent mandrel goes with a thin spot on the belt where the belt burned it when it hit the immoveable object. This thin spot drops down into each pulley it goes through, then the thicker spot comes around and jumps back out where it should be, and this causes a rattle and vibration.

Old 07-02-09, 03:39 PM
S
Gonna check the belt for flat spot/spots tomorrow....really don't know what I am looking for.

Do I need to remove the belt to check it for flat spots?

Old 07-02-09, 10:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Not really flat spots, but thin spots. Take the belt off and hold one hand around it. Pull it through your hand and if you feel a spot pass through that seems thinner than the rest, take a look at that spot and you'll see how the pulley burned away at the v part.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: