Briggs 8 HP engine carb leaking

Old 07-02-09, 02:24 PM
Briggs 8 HP engine carb leaking

It is a Briggs 8 HP model 195437 type 0150-01 on a troy bilt tiller (garden way). The carb is leaking where the linkage plate bolts to the carb. I installed a rebuild kit including new needle with integrated rubber tip however it still leaks. This carb has the needle with the rubber tip. I have adjusted the float several times and checked to make sure the float does not leak. It seems that the gas just keeps coming inpast the needle/seat and into the bowl causing the leak. Help is definitely appreciated on this one. I would like to correct the problem as opposed to installing an in line shutoff.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-09, 03:58 PM
It sounds as though the seat may need to be replaced, if you have a rubber tip needle it would indicate you have a metal seat, before you replace it, I would suggest you try(I'm stealing this from someone) putting some polishing compound on a cuetip and polish the inside of the seat to remove anything that would keep the needle from sealing. Have a good one. Geo

Old 07-02-09, 06:02 PM
geogrubb - thanks -- good suggestion. I didnt realize the metal seat was replaceable. How does one get it out ?

Old 07-02-09, 08:08 PM
I do not have a text for that, however when you buy a rebuild kit it may have one.
Here we go as I remember;
You get a self taping screw and screw it into the existing seat and using a vise, you pull the old seat out of the carb, then without removing the old seat from the screw(the seat has a sholder)insert the new seat using the old seat. It makes sense after you do it. And I'm sure someone will correct me if I made a mistake. Have a good one. Geo

Old 07-15-09, 05:51 AM
Thank you very much for the response. I used your technique exactly and the seat came right out. That was the problem as the leak has stopped.

Old 07-15-09, 09:06 AM
Success makes a wonderful sound. Have a good one. Geo