Anyone have an idea of what happened

Old 07-03-09, 07:05 PM
Anyone have an idea of what happened

I just got in a RER Craftsman model 502.255202 - 30" cut. It wouldn't travel in fwd or rev. On inspection, the drive belt had come off and got all tangled up in the drive pully belt guard. So I pulled the deck and had to drop the transaxle to get the belt untangled. I finally got the belt loose...and it didn't look bad...so I reinstalled it. I drove it up and down the block and it seemed fine. So I put the deck back under it and started back up and was going to try it out again...that's when all the trouble started. When I let out on the clutch, I heard a loud pop, and it took off uncontrollable. By the time I turned the ignition off, I had run into the side of my car...Ouch! I checked the drive belt, and it had jumped off again. It was all tangled up in the belt guards again. All this happened in about 1 second.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-09, 08:36 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hard to know. I suspect a bad pulley or maybe a loose input shaft in the tranny. I don't know why it would take off like that though.

Old 07-04-09, 05:25 AM
Is it possible it had the wrong belt on it?? If it had the right belt,, I'd suspect someone bent the belt guide to change a belt instead of loosening them off... Check the pulleys really close for alignment & poor bearings,, as well as any springs that may be missing & make sure all the clutch linkage is free... If it has tight spots in it, it wouldn't keep the proper tension on the belt & maybe if the linkage is starting to sieze up, thats why it wouldn't disengage.... Just a guess tho,, as I've never run into a no disengage problem before.... Let us know what you find,,,, Thanks Roger

Old 07-04-09, 07:05 PM
The number for the mower is wrong, it is 502.255020. The website for the owners manual is - http://www.managemyhome.com/mmh/lis_...M/L0807091.pdf

Old 07-06-09, 04:22 PM
I finally got the belt out...it wasn't easy. I found a couple of things worth looking at. The input pulley on the transaxle was, wobbling pretty bad. The input shaft measured 0.624", so I think the pulley hole must be worn somewhat. Dose anyone know of an IPL that shows the input pulley? The belt also had two pretty deep cuts on it. I believe I'm going to replace the belt and pulley (if I can find one).

Old 07-06-09, 06:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The part is number 53 on this diagram:
http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...ponents%20list

The part number is 56562 for a murray number, or 056562MA for the new Briggs number. They say it is in stock.

Old 07-06-09, 08:27 PM
Thanks Cheese for the website.

Old 07-06-09, 08:31 PM
While you are at it, I would also get a new keyway for the pulley. The only way the hole in the pulley gets worn is if the keyway snapped allowing the pulley to spin on the shaft. Also check the shaft size as that might be worn, too.

Old 07-06-09, 10:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I see a lot of pulleys that get loose with the key still intact. The belt is constantly pulling on it and it is not held tight by anything, so as it turns it shifts, even when new, and over the years this tiny bit of friction wears at it until the shift gets bigger, which amounts to more friction, wear, and so on.