Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

carburetor??? gas backed up...

MO

07-03-09, 07:52 PM   #1  
carburetor??? gas backed up...

I rebuilt my Welbro carb with new gaskets and a float. I have never done this before on a riding mower but new that it couldn't be hard. Got it all done a put back together and mowed the front yard and it ran fine. When I was done I noticed a boiling sound somewhere in the engine and a few minutes later there was gas leaking. Could not see where it was coming from but there was quite a bit of it. I then noticed that the carb was covered in gas and so I took off the air filter and gas was backed up all the way to the top of it. Whats going on? I know I must have done something wrong but can anyone tell me what I may want to be looking for?

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-03-09, 08:29 PM   #2  
The needle is not seating properly. I suspect something is interfering with float operation (maybe the needle clip is not straight) or there is a problem with the needle or seat.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

NH

07-03-09, 08:33 PM   #3  
I agree with cheese and was about to say the same thing. Float not set correctly or needle not seating.

MO

07-03-09, 08:37 PM   #4  
I don't understand what you mean when you say that the float is not set correctly...there is only one way that it can go in. I did notice that the little line that the tip of the needle fits up into was bent over against the side of the carb but thought that it may have been the way it was suppose to be....think thats my problem?

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-03-09, 08:40 PM   #5  
The metal wire clip that holds the needle? If so, then that could be the problem.

God bless!

MO

07-03-09, 08:42 PM   #6  
There is no metal wire clip that holds the needle. My float is plastic and it has a groove that it slides into. I am talking about the little line that comes down through the bottom of the carb that looks like the tip of the needle would set in.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-03-09, 08:46 PM   #7  
Ok, what kind of carb is this? On a Briggs? What model engine? LMT carb? I can't think of any walbro carbs with a line that the needle goes into.

God bless!

MO

07-03-09, 08:51 PM   #8  
Its a Kohler engine on a 15hp 6 speed Craftsman mower. Does this help?

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-03-09, 08:59 PM   #9  
Yes, some. Different mfgrs have different carbs, even though they may still be made by walbro. Now I know at least what carb you have. Still, there is no line that the needle goes into. I'm not sure what you're trying to describe. The needle ust fits into the slot on the float, and goes up into the fuel inlet where it contacts the seat when the float rises with the fuel level.

God bless!

MO

07-03-09, 09:04 PM   #10  
What are you calling the seat? I think that may be what I am talking about.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-03-09, 10:59 PM   #11  
The seat is the area that the tip of the needle contacts.

God bless!

MO

07-04-09, 08:42 AM   #12  
Then that is the part that I am talking about. It looked like a very small tube and it was bent over against the side. I didn't know how that was possible so I thought that it was suppose to be that way.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-04-09, 02:34 PM   #13  
The thin brass tube that goes thought the center of the carb? If so, it is supposed to be over to the side. It should not be anywhere near the bowl. The needle shouldn't be anywhere near it either. I'm not sure you're putting this together right, or else your terminology is wrong ??

God bless!

MO

07-05-09, 04:08 PM   #14  
My thinking was all wrong. I was thinking of the wrong spot. I took the carb all back apart and everything was in tact and where it should have been. I took the needle that I put into the float out and put the original back in and all is working fine now. Don't know why the new needle wasn't seating properly.

Search this Thread