Homelite hedge trimmer --- bolts are loose

Old 07-05-09, 08:42 PM
Homelite hedge trimmer --- bolts are loose

It seems my hedge trimmer is constantly shaking itself apart. The bolts which attach the crankcase together keep working themselves loose. Also, the bolts which attach the cylinder to the crankcase get loose. This is in addition to the bolts which hold on the carburator which also get loose. I've taken apart the trimmer and re-assembled using loctite thread lock, but the problem persists after just using 4 tanks of fuel. How can I stop this from happening?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-09, 08:46 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Do the bolts have lock washers on them?

Old 07-05-09, 08:59 PM
homelite hedge trimmer....loose bolts

Yes, the factory lock washer....small black ones are present.

Old 07-05-09, 09:02 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't know what to tell you. When you put the locktite on, did you clean and de-grease the threads of the bolts and the holes they go it? If not, the locktite wouldn't work. If the holes are worn out, they may never stay tight. Can you put longer bolts in and put nuts on the other ends?

Old 07-06-09, 06:08 AM
Clean everything well with brake cleaner & than blow it all out with compressed air.. Use the RED loctite,, Thats if the bolt holes aren't already stripped... The bolts screw into a lot of plastic parts, Right?? This is often the death of a lot of low priced equipment... Sorry,, Roger

Old 07-06-09, 08:42 PM
Homelite hedge trimmer-- loose bolts

I cleaned the bolts and the holes with electronic contact cleaner and used compressed air to blow the holes dry. I used loctite, can't remember for sure the color, and re-assembled. The bolts go into a metal hole and not plastic. What do you think about using JbWeld on the threads prior to assembly instead of loctite?

Old 07-06-09, 10:56 PM
You can try it.....You have nothing to loose,,,I've never tried the stuff in this kind of an application,,, Roger

Old 07-07-09, 08:57 AM
I would suggest getting some "new" star type lock washers before using the JB, it is possible the original washers have had their usefulness pressed out of them and all you need is the washers replaced. Have a good one. Geo

Old 07-07-09, 10:41 AM
Originally Posted by geogrubb View Post
I would suggest getting some "new" star type lock washers before using the JB, it is possible the original washers have had their usefulness pressed out of them and all you need is the washers replaced. Have a good one. Geo
Ditto. Lockwashers generally are at their best the first time they are used. Their effectiveness diminishes each time after that.