power loss in mower

Old 07-05-09, 09:06 PM
power loss in mower

In neutral the rider idles fine, but when I put it into drive or engage blade engine dies. I could only think of one thing that was causing it, the fuel filter (in line) but it looks clean. This is an old Snapper "91. Anyone have advise on troubleshooting from here? I blew out the air filter, the carb. looked clean. Some moisture in it, a little bit. Engine is a kohler. After reading more about other problems, I should mention that the clutch/brake has to be in.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-09, 06:13 AM
To me it almost sounds like the seat switch,,, It's not working & thinks you're not sitting on the seat when you try to engage anything??? Roger

Old 07-06-09, 07:03 AM
"In neutral the rider idles fine, but when I put it into drive or engage blade engine dies"

Reading this, I just want to say it needs to be running at full throttle when you put it in drive or engage the blades.
If you are indeed running at full throttle, then I agree with hopkinsr2 seat switch.

Old 07-06-09, 08:11 AM
I will have to check that, It may be the seat. It idles harder than it ever has, plus the engine only starts on full choke, if I don't lower it to mid high level it dies. It always has. I left the poor thing in the storm and elements for a week or two so it may have moved around (the switch). Although I haven't had problems with the seat switch after my old decrepit seat was replaced. Thanks for the suggestion, will put the gas lines and things back together. I think I see a weak gas hose I have to check out.
I forgot to mention, I put on a new belt and the new ones are always tight, so the riders blades are already turning.

Last edited by Lindalou; 07-06-09 at 08:17 AM. Reason: forgot to mention
Old 07-06-09, 09:07 AM
Thumbs up

[B]Thank you so much, I feel so happy I have been working outside for four hrs. my face is red from heat and embarrassment, It was the seat... LOL[/

Old 07-06-09, 05:40 PM
Glad you're going again.. Thanks for the feedback,,, Roger