Echo weed trimmer runs 1/2 choked

Old 07-06-09, 11:06 AM
Echo weed trimmer runs 1/2 choked

Dear Sirs,
I have an Echo SRM2400 weed trimmer. I've had it for seven years and it has performed very well. This year it's been trouble free for the last couple of months and now its starting to cause problems. I have replaced the spark plug, air filter, fuel filter, gas tank hoses,and gas tank grommet and new fuel.Checked for crimped lines that may cause starvation. I can't get close to a full throtle unless I keep it in a 1/2 choked position.It sounds like carburation. Maybe someone out there has experience in this field. It doesn't have to be an Echo for me to get an idea on the price difference of rebuilding the carburator or buying a new one. Thanks for the advice. JoeA

Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-09, 03:35 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Make sure your spark arrestor is not plugged. It will be a screen of some sort in the exhaust or muffler itself.
I don't see too many echos but I don't recall them having priority carbs so the kits should be common and less than 10 bucks, including a can of carb spray.
You might pull the carb apart and if the diaphragms are not too bad, check the small screen in a recessed hole (1/4" or so diameter) clean it or replace it if you kit the carb.

Old 07-06-09, 06:55 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I agree, I suspect the little screen filter in the carb may be clogged. It's an easy fix you can do yourself with a can of carb cleaner.