Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Fuel Stabilizer for gas

MD

07-07-09, 04:52 AM   #1  
Fuel Stabilizer for gas

Can you recommend a good stabilizer for my gas? Also, the ethanol fouled up my carboreator on my Sears tractor so do I use a cleaner or have it replaced?

Thank you!!

Sponsored Links

MA

07-07-09, 05:33 AM   #2  
STABIL is the accepted fuel stabilizer. You might try some "SEAFOAM" fuel additive to clean up the carb/fuel system.
If that doesn't work you will probably have to do a carb re-build.

NH

07-07-09, 06:58 AM   #3  
Stabil, made by Gold Eagle, is the best there is. Stabil is now making a "Marine Formula" which is specificlly formulated for Ethonal.
"•America's #1 Selling Marine Fuel Additive Brand!
•BEST Ethanol Problem Fighter
•More than FOUR TIMES the Fuel System Cleaner than in Regular STA-BIL
•DOUBLE the corrosion preventer than in Regular STA-BIL
•Prevents corrosion from moisture & ethanol-induced water attraction
•Improves marine engine performance YEAR-ROUND, not just for seasonal storage"
They are now packaging it in an 8oz. bottle, which is good for 80 gallons of gas. Cost about $10/ bottle.

MD

07-07-09, 10:56 AM   #4  
Thanks for the advice...I will nip the problem in the bud...

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

07-07-09, 02:44 PM   #5  
Just thought I would toss in my own view on this subject which is shaped totally by my own personal experience.

Fuel contamination or bad gas is not a new problem especially for small engines. I do agree it has become more prevalent with cheaper built machines, more owners, and disposable equipment.

I have drained out several carbs and fuel tanks with the red or green tinted fuel and the customer astonished that any problems with the fuel system exist because they used a "stabilizer" or "additive" only to find a completely corroded and gunked up carb bowl/carb....etc.

These small engines spend most of their time in storage, and how and where they are stored IMO makes the difference, not an additive or stabilizer. They like the same conditions as a mushroom, cool, dark, and dry with as little variance in temperature as possible.
Bad Storage would be an 8'x10' shed which can reach 80 degrees during a sunny winter day even though the outside temp is only 30, then plummet to -20 in a 24 hour period.
I realize it is not convenient and in some cases not practical, still that does not change the detriment, and IMO, is more the problem than is change in fuel blends.

I have nothing against additives, I just have no good experience to draw on since I have never used them in my own equipment nor my customers equipment.
When asked by my customers, I give the same sermon...
sorry...

Search this Thread