Replacing Toro Personal Pace traction cable

Old 07-05-08, 12:27 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Replacing Toro Personal Pace traction cable

Hi,
I have a 2006 Toro Personal Pace 22" lawnmower model #20017. The traction cable has snapped near the handle. I need to use it a few days a week so I'd like to try to replace the cable myself rather than have to leave it at a repair shop. I'm not very experienced mechanically and was hoping someone could either direct me to a Toro website that would have directions/photos of how to proceed or maybe someone could reply with a list of steps to take.
I'm still able to use the mower as I have put a clamp on the end of the broken cable and then tied a wire to the clamp which in turn I've tied to the handle area. I don't expect it to hold much longer!! So my second question is, could someone tell me how to connect the broken cable to the handle area in a more reliable way.
Thanks,
Tom

Old 07-05-08, 04:48 PM
well Tom I havent worked on a Toro Personal Pace self propelled mowers in a long time.But unless they have changed a lot the transmission should have a braket on the back of it looking like a hook and a place to clamp the cable housing still.All ya do is hook the cable end to the tranny and under the clamp.Then is run it through a hole in the deck an up the handle and hook it to the braket on the lever that controls the tracton.
Make sure to go back and tighten the clamp.

Hope this helps

Old 04-23-09, 06:42 AM
I
replacing traction cable, toro recycler

Originally Posted by tomd75
Hi,
I have a 2006 Toro Personal Pace 22" lawnmower model #20017. The traction cable has snapped near the handle. I need to use it a few days a week so I'd like to try to replace the cable myself rather than have to leave it at a repair shop. I'm not very experienced mechanically and was hoping someone could either direct me to a Toro website that would have directions/photos of how to proceed or maybe someone could reply with a list of steps to take.
I'm still able to use the mower as I have put a clamp on the end of the broken cable and then tied a wire to the clamp which in turn I've tied to the handle area. I don't expect it to hold much longer!! So my second question is, could someone tell me how to connect the broken cable to the handle area in a more reliable way.
Thanks,
Tom
There is a plastic cover, down near the front left wheel that the end of the traction cable goes into. I need to replace the cable but how do I get in there without breaking the plastic cover? I cannot find any screws holding it in, does it just pull or snap off? It is black plastic with (22" Recycler) embossed on it. Please help, I think I can replace the cable if I could get started but I don't want to break it while fixing it and 70$ an hour for service is way too much for me. Thank You

Old 07-08-09, 07:34 AM
P
20017 Traction Cable Replacement

First the 20017 is rear drive. Do you mean the left rear wheel? The little plastic cover just pops out from under the mower deck. That reveals a larger hole for the cable and spring to be removed.

Old 07-08-09, 07:37 AM
P
20017 cable attachment to handle

Were you able to connect the cable to the handle? I am having trouble figuring out how to remove the slack in the cable. Plus, it seems that the way I have it attached to the handle would actually cause the drive mechanism to work in reverse. ie. harder I push the more slack goes on the belt tensioner. Guess I didn't pay enough attention when taking the broken cable off.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: