Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

what type of oil to use

MO

07-07-09, 02:37 PM   #1  
what type of oil to use

What is the best type of oil to use in my Craftsman 15hp with a Kohler engine? Does it really matter?

Sponsored Links
Super Moderator

AZ

07-07-09, 02:54 PM   #2  
What does it say in the manual or on the cap? Always best to use the makers recommendation.

Vic
"I sometimes wonder how some people ever made it to adulthood..."

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

07-07-09, 03:05 PM   #3  
Gunguy has a good point and kohler does recommend multi grade oils for some uses in some engines.
Generally speaking, and this would apply to Missouri weather, especially in summer, a straight 30w should be used.

MO

07-08-09, 08:08 AM   #4  
The only thing is that I bought it used and I don't have a manual. I looked last night and the cap doesn't mention what type to use either.

Super Moderator

AZ

07-08-09, 08:15 AM   #5  
Well, If you really want to use the manufacturer reccommended stuff...You might be able to look at the manual at Home Improvement Projects, Product Manuals & Home Management Tools - Managemyhome.com. Its Sears new site for parts and manuals.

You would need the Sears model number for the mower. Might be under the seat or on the frame somewhere.

If you don't want to go to that trouble a straight 30 wt is a pretty common grade as BFH noted. Might be a little thick if you plan on any cold weather use.

Vic
"I sometimes wonder how some people ever made it to adulthood..."

MO

07-08-09, 08:20 AM   #6  
I think I will just got with the strait 30 weight oil...thank you guys for your help on this.

TN

07-08-09, 08:21 AM   #7  
Straight from Kohlers website:

10W-30 (Command Oil) is recommended for Command, Courage, Command PRO, Command PRO CS, Triad OHC, and Aegis engines for temperatures above freezing (32F, 0C). SAE-30 is an acceptable substitute if temperatures are above 50F, 10C. K-Series and Magnum engines should use SAE 30 (Magnum Oil) above freezing. 5W-20 or 5W-30 can be used in all engines when temperatures are below freezing. For more complete oil specifications refer to your owner's manual. For optimum performance, Kohler's special blend oils are available from your KOHLER dealer.

Synthetic oils meeting the classifications listed in the owner's manual may be used, however oil changes still need to be performed at the recommended intervals. To allow the piston rings to seat properly, Kohler recommends operating a new or rebuilt engine for at least 50 hours on standard oil before switching to the synthetic oil.

Failure to use recommended multi-viscosity oil in a Kohler with hydraulic lifters may cause lifter failure.

Kohler Engines: Home

PA

07-08-09, 08:33 AM   #8  
You can pay $6 a quart for some special synthetic oils, or $1.49 a quart for oil that still meets your engines specs, but the MOST important thing is change it when you are supposed to. The best oil in the world won't help much if you don't change it with fresh as needed.

MO

07-08-09, 09:01 AM   #9  
I do not know how long it has been since the oil was changed. I just bought the mower about 2 weeks ago and had to do a few repairs to it to get it up to par. I have yet to use it but the last thing that needs to be done is to go ahead and change the oil and spark plug. It just looks like I just need to get some 10w30 Command oil.

Search this Thread