knocking when starting up and shutting down

Old 07-09-09, 04:53 AM
knocking when starting up and shutting down

Hit stump with my Craftsman Push Rear Bag Lawn Mower Item #07138901000 m#38901 and it shut-off right away and bent blade. I replaced the blade and flywheel key. It starts and seems to run ok but!!! It has a loud knocking when starting up and shutting down.

The knocking sound goes away in seconds. Than after about a minute or two the pull start cord makes a noise.

Any ideas why the knock and the noise

Last edited by Dynny; 07-09-09 at 06:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-09, 03:25 PM
You said you replace the blade, but did you check the blade coupler for damage. Some of these couplers are keyed and they have locators for the blade. I usually find these damaged and make noise on startup and shut down. You then say the recoil starts to make noise and you had replaced the flywheel key. Did you get the flywheel cup in the proper location? Recheck it and also check for the correct torque on the flywheel nut. Lots of luck.

Old 07-09-09, 06:11 PM
Agree with Camino, most likely blade adapter. Craftsman's have a built in key inside and two "knobs" that lock into blade. Look at these to see if partially sheared as well as key inside. Also be sure blade is properly torqued. FYI Could not find info using numbers you posted