Craftsman / Sears 15.5 Kohler Won't Start

Old 07-09-09, 08:33 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Craftsman / Sears 15.5 Kohler Won't Start

My riding Craftsman / Sears 15.5 Kohler Won't Start unless I jump the battery to the starter, and also prime the carb. If I start it using this method, the pto / blades will not come on. I removed the ground wire from the coil to disable the saftey switch system, however it did not make any difference. I replaced the igniton switch (7 connections, 4 positions), and it did not resolve the issue. The ingition switch will turn off the mower, even when the ground wire is removed from the coil (I read I should have to pull the plug wire, but I didn't have to ? ). Seems like an electrical problem, however can't put my finger on it. Any ideas or advise would be greatly appriciated.

Old 07-09-09, 10:50 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I think you have an electric pto, correct?? .. If the battery or charging system isn't working properly.. (Won't start unless I jump the battery to the starter).. is this the tractor battery or boosting it with something else??? The solenoid in the carb needs 12 volts as well as the pto clutch,,, Have the battery load tested & check the charging voltage with the engine running @ full throttle.... How old is the battery?? Do you bost it with another battery?? Let the pros know & they'll get you fixed up!! Roger

Old 07-10-09, 12:24 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Sounds like the fuse is blown. It is near the solenoid in the small red wire coming from the battery cable post on the solenoid.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: