best lawn tractor

Old 07-11-09, 08:20 AM
best lawn tractor

I am looking to buy a new lawn tractor in the $1000 to $1300 price range, any recommendations?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-09, 10:14 AM
Buy a cheap John Deere

YEA buy a new John Deere for about $1,400 at one of the big box stores, they'r no better than the Troy Bilt, or Craftsman, but they hold a better resale value, any guy that cuts grass has a secret desire to own a John Deere so 5 years down the road when you want rid of it, it will sell faster than trying to get rid of a half wore out Craftsman or anyother brand.

Old 07-11-09, 10:27 AM
It is my understanding that the JD from a certain level down are not even made by JD....So what difference does it make what you buy at that price?

Take care of a piece of crap and it will last you. Keep fresh blades, belts, oil, grease and keep it clean. Change plugs at least annually and your lawn tractor will last you longer.

If you live in the south, like me, you cut your grass at least 40 times a year. Pay $1600 and in two years it only cost your $20 each time you mow...get more than two years out of your equipment with standard maintenance cost and you are ahead of the game.

Not everyone can go out and drop $3000 + on a lawn tractor...

Old 07-11-09, 10:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I prefer a craftsman with a Kohler engine for a cheapie. The kohler is necessary in my opinion. The little briggs engines have gotten so junky lately.

Old 06-14-10, 06:28 PM
Originally Posted by bigssab View Post
I am looking to buy a new lawn tractor in the $1000 to $1300 price range, any recommendations?
If your only looking to spend $1000 on a riding mower, do yourself a favor and just hire a lawn service. Low end = low quality. If your not prepared to to spend at least 3k on a tractor, your just wasting your money. The John Deere's people associate with true quality like a John Deere 318 model cost $5,000 new, in 1980, do you honestly believe you going to get anything half as good for 1/5 the price, 30 years later?

Old 06-14-10, 07:12 PM
Possible options:

1) Buy a really good self propelled push mower for about half that.

2) Start looking in the bargain finder for a good used model.

The lack of performance with bottom shelf riders might prevent you from looking forward to yard maintenance.

I've got a Craftsman LT1000 and a Toro Personal Pace SuperRecycler. I end up just cutting the whole 1/2 acre with the pushmower because of the difference in results.

This is of course just an opinion. I like what another poster said about taking care of even a cheap piece of equipment. That's valid. Although I'd rather maintain a well built piece of equipment!

Old 06-15-10, 04:16 AM
Look for an older John Deere with a kohler engine. 70's and 80's models were made like real tractors out of real iron and will last a lifetime if properly maintained. I rebuild them and sell them faster than I can get them.Parts for these Deere's can be found fairly easily. I use a 1973 John Deere 140 H3 that I bought for $450.00 everyday to work around my berry farm and it is more dependable than most of my farm tractors. I am able to sell most for less than $1000.00

Old 06-15-10, 07:42 AM
Originally Posted by Surfmonkey View Post
It is my understanding that the JD from a certain level down are not even made by JD.......
Deere makes all of their lawn and garden tractors, some in WI and some in TN, but they are all manufactured by Deere.