Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Craftsman/Briggs/No power

07-11-09, 04:52 PM   #1  
Craftsman/Briggs/No power

Hello everyone,
I have a Craftsman rider Model 917256531 with a Briggs motor Model 28N707-0173-01. My problem is that it starts fine but when I move the throttle lever to the high speed it will not go above idle. Fuel is good/flowing and the butterfly moves without restriction but it will not run up to speed.
What should I be looking for?
Thanks in advance,
Bob

Sponsored Links

Non-US

07-11-09, 08:45 PM   #2  
Have you verified the operation of the throttle cable??? Does it move the linkages?? If so, I'm thinking you're into a carb overhaul....Dissasemble it & soak it in a cleaner overnight & put it back together with a new kit.. After soaking,, Blast it out with a carb cleaner spray & again with compressed air...If the throttle cable or lever isn't working properly,, fix that up first & let us know,,, Good Luck,,,,, Roger

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-11-09, 09:54 PM   #3  
Make sure the choke isn't stuck closed.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

07-12-09, 04:55 AM   #4  
The throttle cable moves the butterfly fine. I will give the carb. a good going over and let you all know. Just a note that while it is idleling it dosen't smell like it is running fat and this problem came up real sudden.
Bob

IA

07-12-09, 07:50 AM   #5  
Is the throttle moving the butterfly on the carburetor when the engine is running? If not, I would lean toward linkages or governor.

If that is in good shape, though, you might check for a plugged exhaust.

07-12-09, 08:15 AM   #6  
While the engine is running the butterfly is in the wide open position. I did not check the exhaust yet. Good call.

Last edited by kingzero; 07-12-09 at 08:36 AM.

IA

07-12-09, 08:54 AM   #7  
If nothing in the exhaust, you have some type of air flow problem that's compromising the open throttle. That could be cam, valves, valve lash, or as Cheese suggested the choke plate.

If you had a fuel problem it should kill as soon as you open the throttle.

07-12-09, 03:33 PM   #8  
Here is what I have.The carb is clean and the needle & seat are working as they should. The exhaust is clear/new. While running at WOT the tractor can barely get out of its own way.
You can see fuel comming out of the pipe that goes up from the float bowel. the solenoid valve is working as it should.
Compression on the motor is 70psi hot with throttle wide open.
Any Ideas?
Bob

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-12-09, 09:38 PM   #9  
Your camshaft is bad. Remove the valve cover and observe valve operation. My bet is that they barely open/close. Been seeing this a lot lately.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

07-18-09, 10:51 AM   #10  
Ok... Here's what I found. When I removed the valve cover the intake pushrod was broken. It had worn through the shaft and the plastic guide was laying in the head. I am surprised that it was made of aluminum tubing with the ends pressed on.
Thanks for all your help.
Bob

Search this Thread