Craftsman/Briggs/No power

Old 07-11-09, 04:52 PM
Craftsman/Briggs/No power

Hello everyone,
I have a Craftsman rider Model 917256531 with a Briggs motor Model 28N707-0173-01. My problem is that it starts fine but when I move the throttle lever to the high speed it will not go above idle. Fuel is good/flowing and the butterfly moves without restriction but it will not run up to speed.
What should I be looking for?
Thanks in advance,
Bob

Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-09, 08:45 PM
Have you verified the operation of the throttle cable??? Does it move the linkages?? If so, I'm thinking you're into a carb overhaul....Dissasemble it & soak it in a cleaner overnight & put it back together with a new kit.. After soaking,, Blast it out with a carb cleaner spray & again with compressed air...If the throttle cable or lever isn't working properly,, fix that up first & let us know,,, Good Luck,,,,, Roger

Old 07-11-09, 09:54 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Make sure the choke isn't stuck closed.

Old 07-12-09, 04:55 AM
The throttle cable moves the butterfly fine. I will give the carb. a good going over and let you all know. Just a note that while it is idleling it dosen't smell like it is running fat and this problem came up real sudden.
Bob

Old 07-12-09, 07:50 AM
Is the throttle moving the butterfly on the carburetor when the engine is running? If not, I would lean toward linkages or governor.

If that is in good shape, though, you might check for a plugged exhaust.

Old 07-12-09, 08:15 AM
While the engine is running the butterfly is in the wide open position. I did not check the exhaust yet. Good call.

Last edited by kingzero; 07-12-09 at 08:36 AM.
Old 07-12-09, 08:54 AM
If nothing in the exhaust, you have some type of air flow problem that's compromising the open throttle. That could be cam, valves, valve lash, or as Cheese suggested the choke plate.

If you had a fuel problem it should kill as soon as you open the throttle.

Old 07-12-09, 03:33 PM
Here is what I have.The carb is clean and the needle & seat are working as they should. The exhaust is clear/new. While running at WOT the tractor can barely get out of its own way.
You can see fuel comming out of the pipe that goes up from the float bowel. the solenoid valve is working as it should.
Compression on the motor is 70psi hot with throttle wide open.
Any Ideas?
Bob

Old 07-12-09, 09:38 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Your camshaft is bad. Remove the valve cover and observe valve operation. My bet is that they barely open/close. Been seeing this a lot lately.

Old 07-18-09, 10:51 AM
Ok... Here's what I found. When I removed the valve cover the intake pushrod was broken. It had worn through the shaft and the plastic guide was laying in the head. I am surprised that it was made of aluminum tubing with the ends pressed on.
Thanks for all your help.
Bob