Poulin Chain Saw Bogging

Old 07-12-09, 09:22 AM
Unhappy Poulin Chain Saw Bogging

I have a Poulin 42cc Classic saw. When I get cutting into a log it bogs down and stalls unless I pull out from the log.
I've changed the air filter, gas filter and spark plug. The gas is fresh and new.
It starts easy and idles well but under load it dies out. There are two adjusters on the side of the carb for Low / High. I want to turn the H one up but it looks like a torx head.
Any ideas ?
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-09, 11:34 AM
You can adjust the high rpm screw and it may help. Usually adjust it for max rpms, then back it out just a little to allow more fuel to handle the load. If its a California compliant saw, you may have blockoffs on the adjusting screws.

Before you do any adjusting, though, I would check the oiler on the bar to make sure it's working well. Out of the cut, when you rev the engine it should throw a light line of oil on a board, tree, etc.

If all is well up to that point, you may have a compression loss.

Old 07-12-09, 07:21 PM
The saw itself is quite new. Might have 25 hours on it in total. I'll check the oiler on the bar again. I usually run it a little rich as it's 40-1 mix. I put a teaspoon of oil in the spark plug hole and slowly pulled it through about 10x. All seemed fine and smooth as well.

Old 07-16-09, 07:36 PM
Generally if it's bogging in the cut the H needle is too lean, counter-clockwise to richen.

Granted that's after you check the chain and oiler as marbobj stated.

Make sure the plug is clean since you have put oil in the cylinder.

Old 07-21-09, 11:24 AM
Originally Posted by i6pwr View Post
Generally if it's bogging in the cut the H needle is too lean, counter-clockwise to richen.

Granted that's after you check the chain and oiler as marbobj stated.

Make sure the plug is clean since you have put oil in the cylinder.
What do I use to turn it? Then, do 1/2 turn increments??
It's a very odd looking head on it.

Old 07-21-09, 02:59 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Ideally, you want to adjust it while it is running but if not and even then use 1/16 to 1/8 increments. Some of these can be ever so finicky. Also your low adjustment can effect your high, as well as idle. So if you adjust the high speed and then it stumbles from idle to full throttle or will not idle, adjust the low then readjust the high.

If the adjustment screws are knurled or D shaped there are tools to fit them I just have not found out exactly where to get them although I have seen them, I have fashioned my own, however I have used a piece of small fuel line or similar to slip over the screw until done adjusting.

Old 07-23-09, 08:06 AM
I'll give the small fuel line a try and turn the high speed first by 1/8. The saw idles great and starts easy. It's just under load that it struggles for RPM.
Perhaps the high speed jet it blocked / dirty??

Old 08-24-09, 01:55 PM
Question

Turning the H/L screws seems not possible. They are threaded into the side of the carb. I want to turn the H up 1/8. It runs great until it's warmed up then bogs at 3/4 to Full throttle.
Feels like the primary jet is blocked???
Here is what I've done so far.
-cleaned the carb and new air filter
-new plug gapped at .025''
-took apart bar and cleaned out oiler. It's always well oiled.
-adjusted chain
It idles great and starts easy every time.
Any ideas - Thanks

Ser-06215D400555-205:50)
Mod# - PP4218AV - 802031
Poulan Pro Classic - 42cc

Old 08-24-09, 02:12 PM
Sounds like you have the splined shaft adjustment screws like on my Poulan and Weedeaters. I had to buy a tool from E-bay or pay a very high charge to a shop. If it is the splined adj. jets,
the tool # [Poulan's] is 530035560. It looks like a mini nut driver to fit a round shaft with splines instead of a hex bolt or nut.
Patch

Old 08-24-09, 02:23 PM
Originally Posted by patch-48 View Post
Sounds like you have the splined shaft adjustment screws like on my Poulan and Weedeaters. I had to buy a tool from E-bay or pay a very high charge to a shop. If it is the splined adj. jets,
the tool # [Poulan's] is 530035560. It looks like a mini nut driver to fit a round shaft with splines instead of a hex bolt or nut.
Patch
Yes, the jet adjusters are splined. Is there a shop / store where this can be bought??
What a pain! I might try Princess Auto. They have a little of everything.

Old 08-24-09, 03:52 PM
Mowers4U on e-bay has this tool for $9.14 s&h included. Different people have got them locally from small engine shops and such. You'll just have to see what you can do. Patch

Old 08-27-09, 07:58 AM
Thumbs up

I bought the tool for $8.95 incl. shipping to Canada. Thanks for the info, I appreciate.

Old 10-31-09, 01:50 PM
Originally Posted by Square Head View Post
I bought the tool for $8.95 incl. shipping to Canada. Thanks for the info, I appreciate.

Hey SquareHead, .. where'd you find that adjusting tool? I saw a make-shift one made from a crimp-type female electrical connector which you turn with a slot screw driver. I'd rather have proper tool

Old 05-15-10, 08:39 AM
Found the tool on E-bay!
Well worth the $9!

Counter clock-wise to richen the fuel?

There is a Low and a High screw there.
What are the Factory settings?
Thanks