Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

craftsman rider will not turn engine over

07-13-09, 05:02 PM   #1  
craftsman rider will not turn engine over

When I turn the key I get nothing, only a tiny click. I had the starter and battery checked and they are good. When i put a screwdriver across the points of the solenoid it turns over. What is left? Having ignition switch checked next. How can I tell what is wrong?

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

KS

07-13-09, 05:26 PM   #2  
Check the small wire on the solenoid for 12v when you turn the key to the start position. If you have 12 volts, and you can engage the starter as you posted by jumping the solenoid (two main lugs on top) then I would say the solenoid is bad.
If you do not get 12v on the small wire then it could be the switch or other interlock or electrical issue.

07-15-09, 07:39 PM   #3  
craftsman mower

Thanks for the info. Is the device to check the voltage a meter of some type? I am a novice at this but trying to learn. Could you recommend the type of meter to get and also what would be a good "small engine repair manual"?

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

07-15-09, 09:03 PM   #4  
If you have no meter or test light, you can use a jumper, preferably a jumper wire or test lead. Jumper from the incoming lead of the solenoid (or positive terminal of battery), the one that comes from the battery, to the small post on the solenoid. If you only get the same click, then the solenoid is bad, if the starter engages you may have a bad switch or shorted switch or wire.

Post the results along with the model # of your mower and we can go from there.

07-19-09, 05:34 PM   #5  
Craftsman mower

The model # 917-255450

I took a jumper cable and hooked up the 2 posts of the solenoid and it started to turn over.

I did replace the ignition switch because it looked old and rusty but that did not start it. Just the same click.

Could it be the safety switch under the seat? How do you test that? Anyway it sounded like I may have a short somewhere so am all ears as to your next suggestion. Thanks for your help so far. I am learning however slowly.

Can you suggest a repair manual and what type of voltage trester should I buy?

Non-US

07-19-09, 09:03 PM   #6  
Did you hook it to one large post (the one coming from the battery) & a tiny flat spade connector about 1/4" across, as BFHFixit asked?? If you did,, you have other issues,, or did you put the jumper between the two terminals that have (about) 1/2'' nuts on them...With the large cables.... These answers are going to make a lot of difference where you go to troubleshoot it.....

07-20-09, 06:50 PM   #7  
craftsman does not start

I hooked the jumper cables to the 2 posts of the solenoid. I guess I did not understand. You are wanting me to connect 1 end to the positive battery post and the other to the 1/4 inch connection by the solenoid??

what does it mean that the engine started to turn over when I hooked up the 2 posts on the solenoid?

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

07-20-09, 07:29 PM   #8  
Posted By: bluesfan I hooked the jumper cables to the 2 posts of the solenoid. I guess I did not understand. You are wanting me to connect 1 end to the positive battery post and the other to the 1/4 inch connection by the solenoid??
Correct

Posted By: bluesfan what does it mean that the engine started to turn over when I hooked up the 2 posts on the solenoid?
That means your starter and wiring from the solenoid to the starter is working.
If you apply battery voltage to the small terminal, that should cause the contacts inside the solenoid to close, essentially jumping the two posts that you did. If the starter does not engage then there is likely damage to the contacts or electromagnet in the solenoid.
If the starter does engage then the solenoid is working properly and your supply voltage is meeting resistance either in wiring or switch/switch's.

07-30-09, 04:17 PM   #9  
craftsman

Thanks to all your help, especially BFHFixits I tried the different things and it pointed to the solenoid. replaced it and it took right off.

That same mower also smokes some. It is a 14.5 hp Kholer engine and I hear they do that sometimes. Has real good power and uses a little oil. Any suggestions?

Search this Thread