Craftsman 15.5, 42"Mower Model 917.271024

Old 07-14-09, 01:07 PM
Craftsman 15.5, 42"Mower Model 917.271024

Dear Sir, I'm writing because I have spent at least $300.00over a short period of time repairing my tractor for the same problem. Hope you can help. When I try to disengage the mower blades using the "attachment clutch lever" it will only go half-way down, therefore not allowing the blades to stop properly. My mower is in the back yard, I can't start it because the blades are engaged. Is there a simple trick, a spring, or something I can do? Need Help!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-09, 02:58 PM
You should take a look at the below;

Most people mow then when finish park their mower leaving grass clippings on top of the deck. These clippings hold moister and rust/corrode moving parts on top of the deck.

Un-hook the engagement rod from the back of the deck that goes to #55 idler pivot plate, Make sure this #55 pivot plate moves freely.

Also, Check the blade brake arms #53 and rollers #49 for free movement. Clean/lubricate all moving/pivoting parts on top of the deck then check your engagement lever assembly lubricating it as well. Make sure there are no bent/worn link rods and straighten/replace as needed.

There really isn't that much to this style pto system so I believe performing the above should solve your problem.

Good Luck

Old 07-14-09, 10:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
31yeartech nailed the problem. I see this problem often and it usually costs less then $50 to repair it. Rollers #49 are usually the problem. They should spin freely. #55 should rotate easily too. Rust and clippings piled on the deck usually causes this.