Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

honda ht3810 tran oil?

07-15-09, 01:00 PM   #1  
honda ht3810 tran oil?

i have a honda ht 3810 that stopped driving. checcked tran fluid seemed low . dont know what type of fluid to use because it looks and smell like motor oil not atf. Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links

07-15-09, 02:05 PM   #2  
my 3813 uses 10-40W motor oil

and a lot of the hyrdrostatic trans also seem to use motor oil

07-15-09, 05:26 PM   #3  
thanks

thanks for your help larry. when i went back i found some type of broken metallic spacer ring in the lawn. i have not yet taken the cover off so i can get to the trans. but i'm guessing it is a clutch part.

07-15-09, 05:40 PM   #4  
forgot - I "think" we have the same 5 speed MAT gear box (MAT= Mechanical Auto Transmission), can be shifted on the fly without working a clutch pedal

but the easiest way to make sure is to get your hands on a svc manual

i've seen more than a few postings that the honda dealers can sell it to you on CD for $20, the paper book seems to run low $40, which is what i got (and was well worth it)

repairmanual.com is one source for orig honda svc manual, paper version

just the info on the clutch adjustment (especially decreasing the delay in the clutch releasing after gear shifts, was worth the manual's price. to me. But the clutch set up was a complete mystery till i got my hands on the manual - there's a couple things going on with that MAT - whenever you hit the brake pedal, that also dis-engages the clutch - and that's a reason to not hold foot on brake while in gear - if you only hold partial brake, clutch is burning

get ready for some pretty outrageous prices on clutch parts - but best place to get, that i've found, is Honda LAWN TRACTOR Parts Pre-1997

if you scroll down, you;ll see about 4 versions of the 3810 - you'll need the serial number to know which parts catalog to use - but you've got decent parts schematics there as well

and if you do need a clutch disc or plate, you will also need the "brake" disc or plate - they're supposed to be changed in sets

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-15-09, 09:58 PM   #5  
Could be part of a bad pulley that you found? Might just be a belt off because of a bad pulley.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

09-11-09, 05:37 PM   #6  
ownera manual for Honda tractors

Posted By: larryccf forgot - I "think" we have the same 5 speed MAT gear box (MAT= Mechanical Auto Transmission), can be shifted on the fly without working a clutch pedal

but the easiest way to make sure is to get your hands on a svc manual

i've seen more than a few postings that the honda dealers can sell it to you on CD for $20, the paper book seems to run low $40, which is what i got (and was well worth it)

repairmanual.com is one source for orig honda svc manual, paper version

just the info on the clutch adjustment (especially decreasing the delay in the clutch releasing after gear shifts, was worth the manual's price. to me. But the clutch set up was a complete mystery till i got my hands on the manual - there's a couple things going on with that MAT - whenever you hit the brake pedal, that also dis-engages the clutch - and that's a reason to not hold foot on brake while in gear - if you only hold partial brake, clutch is burning

get ready for some pretty outrageous prices on clutch parts - but best place to get, that i've found, is Honda LAWN TRACTOR Parts Pre-1997

if you scroll down, you;ll see about 4 versions of the 3810 - you'll need the serial number to know which parts catalog to use - but you've got decent parts schematics there as well

and if you do need a clutch disc or plate, you will also need the "brake" disc or plate - they're supposed to be changed in sets
Go to this site and download the correct manual (PDF file) for free.

http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/p...s/manuals/defa

Search this Thread