Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Murray Steering Problem

07-15-09, 01:25 PM   #1  
Murray Steering Problem

I have a Murray 38515x92A Lawn Tractor. The play in the steering has become excessive.

Everything I can see with the mower deck removed appears to be working correctly. The only thing I can observe that might be causing the excessive play is extra looseness of the drag links (tie rods?) between the sector gear and the spindle assemblies.

The teeth between the pinion gear and the section gear seem good and firm, nothing else seems loose or worn, all the nuts, bolts and bearing appear to be in good condition, and the links themselves appear unbent and undamaged.

The drag links connection to the sector gear looks too loose to my untrained eye, but the shoulder bolt and flange nut holding them in place seem good and tight.

Any suggestions on tightening or reducing the play in the drag link connections on either the sector gear or spindle assembly ends that will reduce the play in my steering?

Thanks,

J. Thomas
Louisville, KY

Sponsored Links

FL

07-15-09, 02:47 PM   #2  
Don't know of a good/proper fix for worn steering link joints other than replacing them......

Search this Thread