Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Fuel in engine oil

07-16-09, 07:23 PM   #1  
Fuel in engine oil

I have a 13 horse power Briggs & Statton which is getting gasoline in the engine oil. It will start, then flood out.

With the air filter removed you can see fuel puddled in the breather tube.

I removed and cleaned the carb, it had a substance like jelly in it, after reinstalling the carb, the same thing happened. It will start, then flood and stop.

Thanks
Doughboy

Sponsored Links

TX

07-16-09, 07:39 PM   #2  
It sound like you need a new needle and seat. I assume the gas tank is higher than the carb.
With the jelly stuff in there, it sound like you are using low octane gas.
I had to stop using the cheep stuff, it kept on clogging up things with the jelly stuff. I switch to higher octane, and it seems to work better now.

Just a thought.
Travis

NH

07-17-09, 06:37 AM   #3  
I agree that you need to replace the needle & seat and make sure the float is set correctly.
Use 87 or higher octane gas and buy it from a name brand station like Shell, Exxon, Mobil, ect. And make sure the gas you are buying is no more than 10% ethonal(E-10).
Also use Marine Stabil in the gas as today's gas starts to go bad in 30 days.

07-17-09, 05:31 PM   #4  
Thanks, this was my first encounter with jelly in fuel system. I read another post about problems with ethanol in fuel systems.

Search this Thread