Kubota T1760 Governor Problems

Old 07-17-09, 03:19 PM
Kubota T1760 Governor Problems

I have a Kubota T1760 that the engine is always "hunting", it revs up and down all the time. Also the throttle control lever does nothing to control engine speed, the engine is always trying to rev up and then it dies off over and over. I have played with the governor some and can't seem to get any improvements, any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-09, 05:04 PM
There could be something in the governor, but I would look it over for a vacuum leak and/or plugged carb circuits.

In terms of what to do:

Use some WD40 around the carb and manifold gaskets while it's running to see if it doe anything different. If it does= vacuum leak.

Since you have it running, try adding some Sea Foam (from auto parts store) to the gas and run it for a while. If you have some varnish build up or gummed jets it'll take a little while to clean it out. If this is the problem you should have some improvement in about an hour of running.

Old 07-17-09, 08:28 PM
I still think the problem is in the governor

If I push the throttle butterfly closed by hand it will idle perfectly so I think the problem is in the governor. Does anyone have a service manual that shows how to adjust this governor? It seems a little different than others I have seen.

Old 07-17-09, 08:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
What engine does it have?

Old 07-18-09, 10:40 AM
This tractor has a Kawasaki FD501v-AS01. I went to the Kubota dealership today and asked to see a breakdown of the governor on this machine. After some hee-hawing we decided that there was a linkage in the wrong place and the service manager told me how to set the governor arm correctly. Props to Odell Tractor! If anyone is in the Independence, MO area and looking for a mower, go see these guys.

Old 10-27-14, 06:03 PM
Engine Speed

I have same problem same engine. Nothing has been changed on mine. Any idea why the engine speed never changes? I've lubed the cable and I see where the lever engages the choke but I see nothing where the lever would change engine speed. Thanks.

Old 10-28-14, 05:51 AM
Group Moderator
You said "choke". Did you mean "throttle" instead? The choke would not be connected to the governor which is why you don't see any linkage between the two. The governor works on the throttle.

Old 10-29-14, 05:19 PM
No. There's a pivot point at the lever that engages the choke when the lever is moved forward, at the lever. There's nothing else at the lever that tells me the lever is doing anything for the engine speed. Thanks.

Old 10-30-14, 05:12 AM
Group Moderator
What is "the lever"? Keep in mind there are a lot of different levers so you have to be specific.

Old 10-30-14, 10:44 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
That lever should also have a spring attached to it closer down to where the pivot point is. This is the static tension spring. This increases or decreases tension on the throttle arm that controls the position of the throttle in the carb. Usually the carb is at wide open throttle all the time when the engine is off, and only moves once the engine starts, so moving the throttle control lever on the dash back and forth won't move anything but the choke unless it's running.

Old 11-02-14, 08:09 AM
I'm calling the lever the control that you move to increase and decrease the engine speed. I'll look for that spring. Thanks.

Old 11-02-14, 10:27 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The throttle lever (the one on the dash) controls a cable that controls another lever down on the side of the engine. This lever is where the spring attaches.

Old 11-03-14, 03:23 PM
I see that one. On the dash, there is a detent that puts the choke on but once you pull the lever back the engine speed never changes. It stays on high speed. It use to be adjustable. Nothing has been done/changed so I was wondering why all of a sudden the engine speed won't go low. I have lubed all the cables and linkages. Thanks.

Old 11-03-14, 06:45 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
When you change the lever on the dash, do you see it put more and less tension on the spring at the other lever? If so, look at the other end of that spring... it is attached to the governor arm. Can you move this arm back and forth easily?

Old 11-04-14, 06:01 PM
Yes, that moves freely. It moves when I put it to choke then moves back when I take it out of the choke position. I moved it by hand, also.

Old 11-05-14, 01:23 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Can you change engine speed with it running when you move that by hand?

Old 11-09-14, 08:26 AM
Yes, the engine bogs down.

Old 11-09-14, 09:41 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Bogs down, or just slows down and idles? If it bogs down, are you pushing it towards choke?

Old 11-11-14, 04:50 PM
Bogs down and cuts off. Don't know if it's toward choke.

Old 11-11-14, 05:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If you push it so that the throttle on the carburetor goes to idle (the throttle piece on the top of the carb rotates until it hits the idle speed screw), does the engine slow down, or does the piece ever turn enough to hit the idle screw?