Old edger - may need a carb kit

Old 07-18-09, 06:35 PM
Old edger - may need a carb kit

I have a rather old edger. It is a Gibson Model KS-566 Deluxe.

It has a B&S engine with the following numbers on it:

60102 0267 01 6705101

The carb may not be the original. The flange of the card has about a 20 degree angle to it so that the carb does not come straight out from the block but out at an angle. I have checked the carb for numbers and found none.

At any rate I went to use it today. It was very difficult to get it started. I had to use many shots of ether. The engine would fire on the ether run a few seconds and die.

Additional squirts of ether allowed the engine to run longer and longer. Eventually it caught and run for 10 seconds before quitting. Then I got 20 seconds of run time out of it by partially choking it. On that run it was surging quit a bit. Finally, I got it to run and the rpm settled down after about one to two minutes of surging. It still did not sound quite right but I did use it to edge my grass and it did the job. It certainly sounds like the carb needs to be cleaned but I am afraid to take this apart in case I cannot find a rebuild kit. I am thinking of trying some seafoam or a similar product.

Ideas or suggestions welcome. A part number for a carb kit would be even better.

Pictures of this thing can be seen here:

http://i628.photobucket.com/albums/u...o/IMG_0366.jpg
http://i628.photobucket.com/albums/u...o/IMG_0367.jpg
http://i628.photobucket.com/albums/u...o/IMG_0368.jpg
http://i628.photobucket.com/albums/u...o/IMG_0369.jpg

Steve

Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-09, 06:54 PM
I would take off the tank and clean it and the draw tube leading from the tank to carburetor.

Put that back together with Seafoam and fresh gas in the tank, get it started and let it run for about a half an hour. That will give the Seafoam a chance to work.

For its age I would put the Seafoam in the oil too.

Old 07-18-09, 08:50 PM
Have you tried to take the engines #s to the local small engine dealer?? That's the kinda carb they had... Get a kit for it & clean the carb with a cleaner & compressed air & It'll serve you for many more years....(& be carefull with the ether.. You'll either score a cylinder or start a fire.. Try a few drops of gas in the plug...Either is for Diesels as they inject lubricant for combustion & most companys won't recommend using it) ....Just a thought... Roger

Old 07-19-09, 08:51 PM
I am fairly certain that the carb is not the original. The paint on the to top of the gas tank has been sanded in the area where the tank bolts to the carb. And a hand cut gasket is sealing the tank to the carb.

The person who gave me the edger told me that the carb had been replaced around 15 years in the past. I am uncertain if it was replaced with the same unit, a service replacement, or ???

At any rate, I ran it out of gas and cleaned the tank. There was some debris in the tank - not much but some. There was about 3 or 4 oz of gas still in the tank when it quit.

I think I will give the seafoam a try before taking my chances with that carb.

Steve

Old 07-19-09, 09:16 PM
That's a Briggs carb... Any small engine dealer will have parts for it.. Take the engine #'s or the carb with you...try the seafoam if you like,, but it's not gonna fix the ""hand cut gasket"" or the air thats leaking around the blue silicone between the block & carb...For about 15 bucks in correct parts,, someone spent a pile of time trying to fix it for nothing,, What other parts inside are missing???? Just a thought??? Roger

Old 07-20-09, 04:08 PM
That's a thought. I could take the carb off the block without disturbing any internal gaskets and the engine number and see if whatever the dealer comes up with makes sense.

Falling back to Seafoam is always there if I come up empty on a carb kit.

Steve

Old 07-30-09, 07:14 PM
Back for a quick update. The local shop says that no carb kit is available for that engine, but individual parts may be. So I asked about a carb to fuel tank gasket which I did get for under $2.

I will let you know how things work out after I install it this weekend.

In addition I think I will try a little seafoam in the fuel system. Just have to figure out how much to use with one pint of gas.

Steve

Search this Thread