Poulan Pro Lawn Tractor hesitates and jerks

Old 07-17-09, 07:34 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Poulan Pro Lawn Tractor hesitates and jerks

Poulan Pro PR1842stc with B&S 31h777 type 0202 e1 jerks when turning and takes forever to accelerate.

The motion drive belt tends to pop off of the drive pulley sometimes. When this happens it is typically fine until it comes off, it just won't go after stopping or going one direction to another. I put the belt back over the drive pulley, check that it is properly routed around the idlers, and all seems fine until the next time it comes off. The engine is running fine during the symptoms, it has clean filters, fresh oil/gas, good plug.

Today I began mowing and when turning 90 degrees it felt like there was differential issues (jerking as I made the turns) a couple of times. I thought the yard was bumpy there and kept going. A few more laps and I noticed it really slowed down as I made the turns (no braking), and didn't seem to speed back up when I straightened. Halfway through , I decided to keep going. It just got slower and began to jerk when going straight, and really hesitate when taking off, there's just no torque, it takes a hill to to hit the top of 6th gear or its going 2 or 3 gears slower. The belt is still in place, and is probably the first thing to replace, but does this seem like more than the belt to anyone else?

Old 07-17-09, 08:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Yeah, it's the transmission. Check the input shaft for wobble/play.

Old 07-18-09, 09:11 AM
D
Feels solid..

I didn't remove anything, but from the drive pulley (clutch engaged) it feels pretty solid.

Old 07-18-09, 01:51 PM
D
Should the belt be turning?

If the transmission is the issue, would the drive belt turn when in gear with no clutch (facing uphill unable to take off)?

Old 07-18-09, 05:23 PM
G
Received 31 Upvotes on 29 Posts
What transaxle do you have, if it a Peerless it may be the neutral lock out sleeve. Have a good one. Geo

Old 07-18-09, 05:33 PM
D
All fixed...

I was lucky, the drive belt was so bad the engine pulley wasn't gripping enough to turn the transaxle pulley. I changed the belt and tried 6th gear, it did a wheelie. I guess that means the clutch is a bit more sensitive too. Thanks.

Old 07-18-09, 10:43 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Hmm... lucky I guess. I don't think I ever had a belt cause "jerky" operation. Glad you got it!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: