Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Troy-Bilt Mower with Briggs & Stratton Engine leaking gas / flooded

NJ

07-24-09, 07:21 AM   #1  
Troy-Bilt Mower with Briggs & Stratton Engine leaking gas / flooded

Hey all. My father-in-law gave me an awesome mulching mower a few years ago and its been working great. The past few weeks I've had a lot of trouble starting it and I recently noticed that the tank that had gas in it when I left it did not... and there was a small puddle on my garage floor. (and some gas on the mower itself (obviously))

Anyway... I would normally try and fix it myself (search my username here ) but I have a newborn (3 weeks old) so I brought it to my neightborhood repair shop.

I'm just curious what it my be and what I might expect from them when I get the call.

I didn't notice any obvious leaks, but I'd assume a float or something is stuck somewhere causing the leak and flooding...

Any ideas?

Thanks so much

Dave

Sponsored Links

IA

07-24-09, 09:20 AM   #2  
What you're thinking is likely what it is = float/float valve. It could be something on the seat that prevents the valve from sealing again the fuel.

The shop would probably change the oil as well, but in case they don't you need to check it for gasoline and change it if it smells like gas.

NJ

07-25-09, 11:29 AM   #3  
Thanks for the reply. So I guess I'll wait to hear back from them and see what the damage is. hopefully not too much $$. It killed me to drop it off and not do it myself, but time is limited these days

Thanks

Dave

Search this Thread