Husqvarana needle bearing lube

Old 07-24-09, 03:55 PM
Husqvarana needle bearing lube

I just bought a new Husqvarana 445 chain saw and while reading the operator's manual I see that the needle bearing needs regular lubrication.

The manual states
"The clutch drum has a needle bearing on the output shaft. This needle bearing must be lubricated regularly.
When lubricating, remove the clutch cover bu loosening the two bar nuts. Lay the saw on its side with the clutch drum upwards.
Lubrication involves engine oil dripping into the centre of the clutch drum as it rotates."

That's all it says. I'm just wonder what kind of "engine" oil do I need to use. I'm guessing something like 30w hd. How much, 3 or 4 drops?
What is you defination of "regularly"? Every time I refuel?
Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-09, 04:16 PM
You about have to go by what the guys who made it says.

But to establish a frame of reference, that bearing will only spin at an idle. Once the clutch engages to drive the chain it'll just wait for the next idle period.

If you oil it too often you can get oil into the drum the clutch drives = lube where you don't want it. So I wouldn't go over board on the frequency.

If a two stroke manufacturer is talking about engine oil, I would assume it's the two stroke oil you mix with the gas.

But, back to the first sentence......

Old 07-24-09, 04:32 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I agree with marbobj mostly but I would stick to the 30w as it is not meant to be combustible and use 3-4 drops when you adjust, change or sharpen the chain.

Old 07-24-09, 05:27 PM
Thanks for both replies.
I'm assuming that I need to lube the bearing before my first use of the saw.