Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

carb problem on a 1999 mtd

07-25-09, 02:52 PM   #1  
carb problem on a 1999 mtd

i have been reading about taking the carb bowl off and cleaning the jets but i have something attached on the bottom of my carb bowl that has a wire connection going to it. i have disconnected the wire and tried to unscrew this to no avail
motor info is Briggs and stratton 14.5 OHV I/C quiet
model-237707 Tyoe 1224-e1 code 9590512ze
Can anyone shed some light please

Sponsored Links

FL

07-25-09, 05:14 PM   #2  
Your model number is missing a number or digit ?

This part is a fuel cut-off solenoid, If this is a Walbro carb there are two flat areas between the solenoid and float bowl where a thin wrench and be inserted for removal.

Once off plug the solenoid back in and turn the key on and off, The plunger on the end should pop in and out. If it doesn't you have damaged the wires inside by continuously spinning the outside housing.

If this is a Nikki carb remove the two phillips screws then a modified socket wrench can be inserted on the inside to hold the inner nut for removal.

Good Luck

07-27-09, 12:25 PM   #3  
Thanks for the info and I'll let you know how it turns out.

07-28-09, 06:25 PM   #4  
i finally located a wrench thin enough to remove the cut-off solenoid. the carb bowl was removed and i noted it was free of debris. now i do not see any jet to clean out. what i do see is a float and below that a small screw that goes into 'an upside down pipe organ' Three pipes with the middle pipe is where the solenoid unscrewed from. i removed the little screw and it has a small little hole in it. it was clear as i was able to put a small piece of wire through it w/o any resistance. when i removed the screw i did not notice anything fall so i assume it was not holding anything. i replaced the small screw and i do not know where to go from here.??:

FL

07-28-09, 07:20 PM   #5  
How was the engine running to make you think you had a carb problem ?

Also, Did you test the cut-off solenoid and see the tip retract ?

07-29-09, 04:49 AM   #6  
solenoid tested ok
the tractor would start and run fine for one pass thru the yard and then it would start to shake and i would pull the choke out and it would run fine for a short time and then the tractor would stop as if it ran out of gas

07-29-09, 05:02 AM   #7  
also i have changed the fuel filter and the rubber gas lines

NH

07-29-09, 07:23 AM   #8  
Posted By: stub241 solenoid tested ok
the tractor would start and run fine for one pass thru the yard and then it would start to shake and i would pull the choke out and it would run fine for a short time and then the tractor would stop as if it ran out of gas
Try running with the gas cap loose. The vent in the cap could be clogged.

07-29-09, 09:08 AM   #9  
i ended up putting the cut off solenoid and bowl cap back on and then cleaned out the gas cap. walla the tractor is running well at this time.
Beer 4U2 thanks to indypower1 and 31ytech for their assistance.

Search this Thread