Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Craftsman riding mower 21.5 hp OHV B & S leaking fuel

07-26-09, 11:49 AM   #1  
Craftsman riding mower 21.5 hp OHV B & S leaking fuel

We were given a Craftsman LXT 1000 riding mower with 21.5 HP OHV Briggs and Stratton Intek Twin by an older gentleman who didn't want to deal with some problem with it. After charging the battery the thing fired right up and sounds great. The problem is that it is squirting fuel out of a round black plastic diaphragm type part, after the little fuel pump (sorry after the clear fuel FILTER), so between the fuel filter and the engine and mounted to the outside front of the engine, on the same side as the fuel filter. I can't seem to find a manual or an exploded view online-what is this part and how to find a replacement? It is Japanese made. I assume this part has failed internally. The mower looks almost new, seems a little strange.

Last edited by kims11; 07-26-09 at 12:37 PM.

Sponsored Links

Non-US

07-26-09, 02:33 PM   #2  
If it's an engine part, you can look it up on briggsandstratton.com, or if it's something sears put on, use searspartsdirect.com... You need the engine numbers for briggs & the mower model numbers for sears... To me it sounds like a fuel pump need an overhaul, but see if you can verify the name of the part..... Roger

TN

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-26-09, 07:28 PM   #4  
If it's coming from a round black plastic piece with 3 fuel lines connected to it, that's the fuel pump and it needs to be replaced. I would also replace the line from the pump to the carb as well, since it is often cracked and leaking on many mowers I see.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread