HONDA HR214 SX LOW IDLE springs or carb?

Old 07-26-09, 07:38 PM
HONDA HR214 SX LOW IDLE springs or carb?

I have a Honda HR214 lawn mower that runs at a low idle, any ideas why?

History: I got the mower used with unknown history. The mower looks in very good condition, deck shows little wear, engine starts right away… everything works… except when the blade is engaged the mower runs slow (and maybe runs rich?).

After you start the engine it runs at a normal idle, only after the blade is engaged does it run slow. Slow walking speed and of course engine speed slow. While the engine is running and the blade is engaged I can push some of the carb linkage and speed right back up to “normal”.

My first impression is some of the springs in the linkage need to be replaced. Does anyone know if low spring tension in these springs may cause low engine idle with the blade engaged? I guess the carb could be cleaned but I’ll wait for opinions first.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-09, 08:34 PM
Let me follow up with additional information and a question.

I took the bowl off the carb and it looks good. no varnish or debris, some rust but not much.

I've read a few post on reseting the governor and I'm wondering if this might help. When I took the bowl off the carb I did notice a small thin wire wrapped around the fuel line. The wire was not connected to anything else when I found it but I would imagine it was probably attached to the governor arm to pull it back.

Would reseting the governor possibly help with engine speed during normal operation?

Old 07-29-09, 04:42 PM
If no one monkied with the governor, it'll probably be fine... Have you tried an air filter in it??? Hondas are very sensitive to air filters partially blocked..,, Are the springs all O.K.& none broke?? All the linkages move & none are siezed?? When you push the carb linkage to speed it up,, Can you feel the govenor trying to pull it back???

Old 07-30-09, 06:05 AM
hopkinsr2,

Good point about the filter; I'll try a different one and see if anything changes.

None of the springs are broken and the linkage appears to move freely. I'll play around the with pushing/pulling the govenor lever and check how it responds.

After I took off the bowl and cleaned bowl/float area a bit (not that dirty though), the engine did seem to run better/normal. I did a 2 minute test run and the engine appeared to rev higher when the blade was engaged. Having said that, the engine did struggle for maybe a second while the blade clutch was engage.

I thought my problems were amazingly fix until I tried to stop the engine. However now it won't stop, it runs at a very low idle. I had to push the governor lever to the extreme to kill the engine.

Anymore suggestions?

What I'll try next is soaking the carb overnight in carb cleaner and use a different filter. Doing this won't hurt, but no sure this would solve the problem of the low idle when trying to stop the engine. I think I'm back to studying the carb linkage/springs and trying to understand what possible adjustments there are.

Old 08-03-09, 06:38 AM
Well just to bring a little closure to the subject. I found the problem why the engine would not stop. Turns out to be the cable, it was binding up and not allowing killing the engine. It would only move enough to reach the LOW idle position and no the stop position.