Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Husqvarna 124L string diameter/power issues

MD

07-28-09, 06:58 AM   #1  
Husqvarna 124L string diameter/power issues

I have a Husqvarna 124L and it's been great but lately it seems to bog down in moderate to heavy stuff. I've been using trimmer line off of a large roll I got at a yard sale (.95) and I thought it ran ok with it but I can't really remember when I started using that size.
Is this trimmer capable of using that size line?
Here are the specs.
Cylinder displacement 1.7 cu.inch / 28 cm³
Cylinder bore 1.4 inch / 35 mm
Cylinder stroke 1.1 inch / 28.7 mm
Power output 1.1 hp(I) / 0.8 kW
What else could be causing the loss of power? I took out the spark arrester.

Sponsored Links

TN

07-28-09, 07:33 AM   #2  
The 124L is rated for 0.095 to 0.106 inch diameter line so you do not have a problem with line size.

I assume you have not removed the guard with the line cutter. Too long a line will bog an engine.

Remove the muffler and look for carbon buildup at the exhaust port and in the muffler.

Install a new spark plug. It has always amazed me the problems associated with defective plugs.

Check the engine case for loose fasteners. An air leak can cause power loss.

Test compression, Husqvarna never published compression specs., to my knowledge. I think it should have 100-PSI minimum.

Lastly, I would look at the carburetor. The carburetor manufacturers offer service manuals on their websites.

MD

07-28-09, 08:52 AM   #3  
Update on power loss

Posted By: Airman The 124L is rated for 0.095 to 0.106 inch diameter line so you do not have a problem with line size.

I assume you have not removed the guard with the line cutter. Too long a line will bog an engine.

Remove the muffler and look for carbon buildup at the exhaust port and in the muffler.

Install a new spark plug. It has always amazed me the problems associated with defective plugs.

Check the engine case for loose fasteners. An air leak can cause power loss.

Test compression, Husqvarna never published compression specs., to my knowledge. I think it should have 100-PSI minimum.

Lastly, I would look at the carburetor. The carburetor manufacturers offer service manuals on their websites.
I did put a new spark plug in but it was no help. I don't even know what kind of plug it is supposed to take but I found a new one in my shop that fit so I put it in. The string guard is in place. I took the muffler off and it seemed ok to me though I'm really not certain what to look for. The spark arrester was clean as a whistle though. The port had a little carbon build up which I knocked off.

Here's another little tidbit of information though. For the first year and a half, I thought it took 40-1 gas/oil ratio. This time I put my reading glasses on and it read 50-1. I corrected this a couple of weeks ago.

Just now I was out with it and got into some heavy stuff. I noticed that if I pulled the choke on a tad, the RPMs went up of course but it did not bog down and went through the stuff like it did once upon a time.

So, is that a fuel delivery problem or a mixture problem. Could the oil rich mix I had been using have caused a problem? I looked at the adjustment screws on the carb but what ever kind of screw they are, I ain't got the tool for it. I really don't like messing with those things anyway on a pretty new machine. They are preset and there is usually another problem if you have to mess with them on a new machine.

Until someone gives me the magic answer, I guess I'm heading out for some fresh fuel and carb cleaner.

TN

07-28-09, 05:55 PM   #4  
Did you test compression? What is it?

Your trimmer requires a Champion RCJ-8Y or equivalent spark plug. An incorrect spark plug may damage your engine or it may not operate correctly. Install the correct plug. If performance does not improve look at the carburetor. But back to compression, you need to know what it is before wasting time on a carburetor.

By performance improving when the choke is engaged does suggest a carburetor problem. What brand and model number carburetor is installed?

I doubt running too rich of a fuel/oil mix for a short while caused any problems.

When looking at a parts list I discovered your Husqvarna is one of the newer models. In actuality this trimmer is a Poulan with Husqvarna name and colors. This does not make much difference to me. Most Poulan engines will operate with compression as low as 90-PSI.

MD

07-29-09, 04:21 AM   #5  
Well, I don't happen to have a compression checker but I will go out and get one today.
The spark plug I had on the shelf just happened to be the right one.
I just went down to the shop and opened it up to look at carb model and discoverd the fuel line was cracked and leaking. I think that is probably the problem. And of course, that is one of the first things you told me to do. Open it up and look for leaks.
Thanks so much for the help. I'll let you know how it goes with the new fuel line if I can find one.

TN

07-29-09, 04:38 AM   #6  
If you do not have a continual use for a compression tester save your money. Repair the fuel line first. If the fuel line doesn’t fix it, ask a local shop what they will charge to test compression. Most I know would do it free.

MD

07-29-09, 09:16 AM   #7  
Someone, please, ask me if it made a difference. Actually, I think someone snuck in and traded machines while I was upstairs taking a break after I put the fuel line on.
The only thing that slows this thing down is the kill switch! I don't think it ran this well when it was new.
My only regret is I can't blame this on my idiot brother-in-law.
Thanks for the help!

TN

07-29-09, 04:12 PM   #8  
Glad you got it running. The brother-in-law was surely at fault.

MD

08-04-09, 12:22 AM   #9  
If he had ever used this machine, I would agree entirely but even he isn't idiotic enough to believe he screwed it up just by looking at it. Oh, what the hell. I'll give it a shot. Who knows? It might fly.
The next time I used the machine, it started doing the same thing. The fuel lines were good so I took the stone of the line and cleaned it out with acetone. So far, so good.

Search this Thread