Kawasaki Generator Quit

Old 07-28-09, 05:36 PM
Kawasaki Generator Quit

I have a 6kw generator that I have had for several years that we have used for 110 volts for our enclosed during the summer months when we are racing. All of the sudden the generator quit working and the engine was fine. Checked the breakers and were fine. Took the control panel plug and checked the voltage from the generator and got no results. There were 2 black wires and 2 white wires. The brushes were fine I guess, don't know how long they should be fine and it looks like there is a diode in the back of the cover that could be bad. I don't know how to check the stator, fields, diode and all that stuff. What should I do?
This is a PP600A1 model. Where can I get parts?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-09, 12:37 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
To check the diode, use an ohmmeter. Isolate the diode from the circuit. Put one lead at one end, and one lead at the other, and then reverse leads. If the diode is good, you should get continuity with the leads one way, but no continuity with them reversed. Any other result means a bad diode.

Old 07-29-09, 06:15 AM
Old 07-30-09, 06:22 PM
Airman, I took and plugged a drill in to one of the outlets with the gen running and I made a mistake and did not turn the drill in the reverse direction, as I look the forum after looking this procedure. What I did this evening is take 12 vdc to the brushes and had 30v with the gen running using a ohmeter etc. Then I took a hand grinder and did the same with the gen running it would only run for a short spell,quit, and it was good warm. Cheese I don't where the diode is but I have a capaciator in the end of cap that has 2 wires attached to it but who knows if it is good.

Old 07-30-09, 08:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It's hard to test a capacitor to certainty without specialized equipment.

Old 07-31-09, 07:02 AM
Is the model number actually PP6000-A1? The link below shows the diode as well as the capacitor. It may help locate the diode.

Parts and Diagrams for Kawasaki Engines PP4000-A1 Generator PP4000