Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

poulan chainsaw, no compression

MI

07-29-09, 09:43 AM   #1  
poulan chainsaw, no compression

I have a nice poulan chain saw that was given to me but it wont start. I dinked around with it and it has no compression. Do I just need a set piston rings to get back compression or should I just junk the saw?

Sponsored Links

Non-US

07-29-09, 05:16 PM   #2  
What model is it??? A WildThing??? If you pull the exhaust off you can look in the exhaust port & turn the engine over very slow & look @ the piston & rings & cylinder... My bet is the cylinder & piston are scored & the parts are as much (if not more ) than a replacement.... Sorry,, Roger

MI

07-29-09, 08:42 PM   #3  
Its not a wild thing, Im not sure what model it is, Ill look tomorrow. I'll pull the exhaust off and see whats going on. Its a nice saw, it would be nice to get it going.

TX

07-29-09, 09:14 PM   #4  
Most of the time on any two stroke, it will be the rings or piston, Like you have already read, it may be time for a new saw.
With the cost of the parts and labor, or just the parts. A new one may be a better deal.

Travis

hopkinsr2, cool avatarBeer 4U2

MI

08-06-09, 12:21 PM   #5  
I pulled teh engine apart and the piston and cylinder are both scared. I take it that means the saw it junk?

11-06-09, 02:51 AM   #6  
Posted By: michaeljp86 I pulled teh engine apart and the piston and cylinder are both scared. I take it that means the saw it junk?
Depends how much time and patience you have, .... the parts are dirt cheap, but these little beggars are fiddly running at best. I have two Poulans: one one runs like a raped ape with no hassles, the other (a Pro even) I wouldn't give away it's that useless. Starts lousy then runs like a banshee for a few cuts then dies dead every day. Both less than a year old.
If you need something REALLY annoying in your life then you may have found it.

IA

11-06-09, 05:08 AM   #7  
For the Poulan saws in the 42cc range the cylinder is around $60.00, the piston is about $25.00. Then freight on top of that. And you may put it together and it will junk out again in a week.

You can find new Poulans for around $130.00 on sale. But I would look at other brands if you want a good saw. Stihl or Husqvarna will take you through a lot of cutting.

MI

11-06-09, 01:22 PM   #8  
Posted By: Denman123a Depends how much time and patience you have, .... the parts are dirt cheap, but these little beggars are fiddly running at best. I have two Poulans: one one runs like a raped ape with no hassles, the other (a Pro even) I wouldn't give away it's that useless. Starts lousy then runs like a banshee for a few cuts then dies dead every day. Both less than a year old.
If you need something REALLY annoying in your life then you may have found it.
My dads poulan is a beast, its a 16", this bad saw I have is a 18. My dads is a little hard to start but always worked great.

Posted By: marbobj For the Poulan saws in the 42cc range the cylinder is around $60.00, the piston is about $25.00. Then freight on top of that. And you may put it together and it will junk out again in a week.

You can find new Poulans for around $130.00 on sale. But I would look at other brands if you want a good saw. Stihl or Husqvarna will take you through a lot of cutting.
Yep, I seen alot of good deals on new saws. I think Ill keep the bar and chain and keeps some parts like the carb for other projects.

Search this Thread