18 HP Kohler engine will not run

Old 07-30-09, 02:58 PM
18 HP Kohler engine will not run

I have a craftsman riding mower with a Kohler 18 HP. I bought it used and they had to pour gas in the carb to get it started. When I tried to go up on my trailer it died. The guy said he thinks the fuel pump is bad. I got it home and it would start right up for me for a couple weeks. Then I let it set for a couple weeks and tried to start it. Now it will not start unless I pour gas in the carb. BUT once the gas is out of the carb it dies. I tried to find a fuel pump and cannot find one. Any HELP is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-09, 06:16 PM
Both the tractor model number AND the engine model AND spec numbers would be helpful......

Old 07-31-09, 07:05 AM
mower model 917.252711 engine model mv18s spec 58560 thanks

Old 07-31-09, 07:24 AM
I believe I would make sure you have a good fuel flow going to the fuel pump first and a clear line coming out of it going to the carburetor. You could have carb problems as well.

Disconnect the line at the carburetor and direct the flow into a clean container. You may have to put an extension on the line. Loosen the fuel cap and spin the engine over a number of times and see if the pump is moving the fuel.

If you can't get any gas out the line, pull the fuel pump off and manually work the drive lever on it. It should have vacuum on the inlet side and pressure on the outlet. If nothing there, replace the pump.

Old 07-31-09, 08:17 AM
any ideas on where the fuel pump is? i cant find one or locate in the manuel.

Old 07-31-09, 09:30 AM
Standing in front of the machine it will be on the left hand side of the carb, Two screws hold it to the block. Just follow the fuel line from the carb to it....

Old 07-31-09, 11:03 AM
Originally Posted by mykmiller View Post
I have a craftsman riding mower with a Kohler 18 HP. I bought it used and they had to pour gas in the carb to get it started. When I tried to go up on my trailer it died. The guy said he thinks the fuel pump is bad. I got it home and it would start right up for me for a couple weeks. Then I let it set for a couple weeks and tried to start it. Now it will not start unless I pour gas in the carb. BUT once the gas is out of the carb it dies. I tried to find a fuel pump and cannot find one. Any HELP is appreciated.
Fuel pump parts # 5255903S.

Old 07-31-09, 11:33 AM
where did you get that part #? looked at sears parts direct and cannot find anything. i search the number and also fuel pump but have no results.

Old 07-31-09, 11:54 AM
I would say you should try taking off the hose that goes from the fuel pump to the carb then try to start it for a sec, if gas comes squirting out of the hose when its olny connected to the fuel pump,your carb is needs cleaning or the needle is stuck. If it doesnt it could be your hose has some gunk in it.