Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Toro Wheel Horse Kawasaki Cuts out

07-31-09, 10:29 AM   #1  
Toro Wheel Horse Kawasaki Cuts out

Hi there. I have a Toro Wheel Horse with a Kawasaki liquid-coold V-Twin OHD, FD620D. The issue is engine will runfor a random period (sometimes for 600mins, though increasingly for less time, eg 5mins) before cutting out. I cannot restart it immediately: by using choke (even though hot), it may cough and splutter but then dies out with eventually no response to ignition turning engine over (ie will not fire). I have to leave it for a while before I can restart it and off we go again... I have removed sparkplugs and checked that there is a spark when engine dies, so does not seem electrical. Have thoroughly cleaned carb and have replaced fuel filter. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks

Sponsored Links

FL

07-31-09, 04:29 PM   #2  
I just worked on one of these engines that had the same symptoms you described, I went through EVERYTHING !!!

After taking a step back, I hooked a gravity feed tank (old Honda gas tank) to it and it ran like a champ. Problem was the fuel pump, It would intermittently stop pumping fuel.

That explained the varying run/re-start times, A new pump got it out of my hair.

Good Luck

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-31-09, 11:47 PM   #3  
Funny, I was about to mention the same thing. I have a deere lx188 with that engine and it does the same thing at times. I discovered it was the fuel pump as well.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

08-01-09, 03:15 AM   #4  
Thanks guys! will go down that route and see what happens - will keep you posted!

09-18-09, 03:20 AM   #5  
fuel pump didnt work...

replaced fuel pump and have same issue. have also blasted air through all fuel pipes. still same pbm... any fresh ideas? tx

TN

09-18-09, 06:21 AM   #6  
Check the fuel lines for internal deterioration. I have seen many of fuel lines damaged from ethanol fuel. The fuel line from the tank to the fuel pump has been the one I find damaged. I replace them all with ethanol resistant line.

Search this Thread