Need blade belt configuration TORO 616Z

Old 07-31-09, 02:22 PM
Need blade belt configuration TORO 616Z

My sister and BIL have a TORO Proline 616Z 3-blade mower that recently threw the blade belt. I tried to help him figure out how the belt fits around the six pulleys (1 drive, 2 idler, 3 blade), but we had no luck. Does anyone have a diagram of the belt configuration, or know where one is on the 'net, or the order in which the belt meets the pulleys. The model-serial no. is 74021-590237. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-09, 03:58 PM
Roy,

Can't find anything with the machine model & serial numbers, Toro has different decks that can be put under that unit.

The deck will have it's own model & serial number tag, Once you retrieve those numbers you can go HERE clicking on "Customer care" then "Manuals and Parts" on top of the page.

Then you can enter those numbers for owner's/parts manuals that should have a diagram.

Good Luck

Old 07-31-09, 05:37 PM
Thanks a lot, 31YTech. I checked the Toro site and found the info for the mower, but no info on the deck. I didn't know they have separate model/serial numbers. That's good to know. I'll get those numbers and go back to toro.com. Thanks again.

Old 07-31-09, 05:51 PM
No problem Roy..........

Old 10-14-09, 03:49 AM
Toro 616Z deck belts

I recently bought a 616Z and have just put a complete new set of belts on it. I took the old belts in to our local Bearing Supply joint and asked for Gates high quality replacements. I didn't even bother to try the mower shops as the mower is so old. My 616Z has a 52" cutting deck which has 2 belts on the cutter deck itself. One belt runs around the 3 cutter head spindles and is tensioned by a 4th spring loaded pulley. This belt is a 101" A-section belt. The other belt on the cutter deck is a B section belt, whose length I would need to check, but the routing for that one is directly between the 2-tier idler pulley and the LHS cutter head spindle. There is no single belt that runs around all 6 pulleys. The longer A-section belt runs around 4 pulleys (including the spring-loaded tensioning pulley) and the shorter B-section belt runs around 2 pulleys. There is a black and white sticker on the rear lip of my deck that shows this belt routing, but perhaps your sticker has worn off. If you still need a diagram I can maybe create something in WORD draw to send you. Let me know and also if you need to know the other belt lengths so you can get them from a Bearing Supply instead of a Mower shop. There are 5 belts in all, including the Hydro pump drive. Cheers, Paul.

Old 10-14-09, 05:17 AM
Thanks, Gandoman, but it sounds like you have a different deck on your 616Z than my BIL has on his. It has only one belt that goes around the six pulleys and no double pulleys. Next time I go over I'm going to look for a sticker with the belt configuration, though. Thanks.

Old 10-15-09, 03:29 PM
Good luck with it Roy. The VIN # on my deck is 78460 and it a 3 cutter head 52" job. If you can find the VIN # on your BIL's deck that should help a Toro Agent get you info. Cheers, Paul

Old 11-07-09, 05:29 PM
Sorry I haven't replied sooner; my computer's been acting up.
I found the model-serial number of the deck, went to the Toro site and saved a drawing from the deck's parts catalog that shows the belt route around the pulleys. Thanks.