Troybuilt Riding Mower Won't Start

Old 07-31-09, 05:35 PM
Troybuilt Riding Mower Won't Start

I have a LXT-2146 Troybuilt riding mower, model 13AT609H603, that will not start. After the mower sets for a while, and I turn the key, the starter moves a bit, but when I turn the key a second time it doesn't do anything.

I have changed the solenoid, had the battery and starter checked. All battery cables are okay, and the switch for the seat is okay. I have also check the spark plugs. I am now at the end of my list of ideas.

My neighbor used the mower to cut his grass a couple of weeks ago, andeverything was okay. He went to start it again after it was parked for a week, and it didn't start. It just did what I stated above.

Please help. I really need to cut my grass.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-09, 06:07 PM
I believe you transposed your model number, Maybe it's 13AT609H063 ?

Sounds like the valves need to be checked/adjusted, If they are out of spec the mechanical compression release will not function properly causing the symptoms you described.

Good Luck

Old 07-31-09, 06:58 PM
Did you check the battery with a load tester or check the voltage in it with a voltmeter???

Old 08-01-09, 06:23 AM
I had it checked at the auto store on a load tester.

Old 08-01-09, 06:36 AM
31YTech,

Thank you for the information. It's not what I wanted to hear, but at least I know what I have to do.

I assume I will need to take the engine apart to make the adjustments, so I will just take it to a shop to get it repaired.

Old 08-01-09, 08:53 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You only take of the valve cover (4 bolts) and adjust the valves there. It's a 15 minute job.

Old 08-24-09, 04:34 PM
Troybuilt mower valve adjustment

I got the nerve to take the four bolts off and look at the valves. The space between the top lever and the valve spring is about 1/8th of and inch. This is a big difference from the .005 - .008 that it is suppose to be. Should I adjust all four adjustments to .005 - .006?

Do I measure the .005 on the outside or the inside of the lever?

Old 08-24-09, 05:20 PM
Adjust all four rockers "levers" in the same sequence explained/shown above with the feeler gauge in the same position as pictured above between the "lever" and valve stem...

Old 08-24-09, 05:21 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Measure between the valve tappet and rocker arm. Only 2 places to be adjusted, one on each valve.

Old 08-25-09, 03:38 PM

I adjusted the valves, and the mower still will not start. It does the same thing that it has been doing. It is like there is a switch someplace that is not allowing it to start. I only have 2 or 3 switches (seat, brake, and blade engage switches). I have checked the seat switch, but I do not know how to check the other two.

I am wide open for suggestions.

Old 08-25-09, 07:35 PM
Originally Posted by mtj8617 View Post
It does the same thing that it has been doing. It is like there is a switch someplace that is not allowing it to start.

Sooo, What you are saying is; When you turn the key to the start position the machine makes no sound whats so ever.... No click or anything ?

Or does it crank over but will not start up and run ?

Old 08-26-09, 02:59 AM

When I first turn the key I hear a click of the starter. Everytime after that there is nothing. If I leave it set for a while, the starter will click again, and then go back to nothing.

Old 08-26-09, 04:10 AM
Check the negative battery cable where it mounts to the frame for rust/tightness. It's common on these units to have a harness ground wire hooked to one of the solenoid mounting screws, Did you get it hooked back up ?

Do you have a multimeter to do some testing ?

Old 08-26-09, 09:59 AM
Troybuild Mower Won't Start

I do have a meter to do some checks. I think I have checked the ground cable for the battery also, but it is always worth checking it again. I have put a meter on the starter also, and I do not get any voltage on the meter. I have changed the solenoid, and load tested the battery. I am willing to check anything right now, so keep the questions and answers coming. I feel it has to mbe something electrical, because it did it so suddenly.

Old 08-26-09, 06:06 PM
OK,

Need to start at the top to make sure nothing was over looked/mis-diagnosed.

Put your meter across the battery post, A fully charged battery should show 12.5 volts. With the meter still hooked up to the battery turn the key to the start position and note the voltage drop.

Make sure when you installed the new solenoid you put the smaller red wire on the large post going to the battery, Not the one going to the starter.

Next to the solenoid is a in-line blade type fuse holder, Remove the fuse and check for corrosion/rust in the holder. If there is replace the holder. Check for battery voltage on one of the two connectors inside the fuse holder.

If the above checks good un-plug the small wire on the front of the solenoid. Put your meter on this wire then turn the key to the start position, You should get near full battery voltage.

I don't want to overwhelm you so check/perform the above and post the results and we'll take it from there.

Good Luck

Old 08-27-09, 06:55 AM
Troybuild Mower Won't Start

Before I go home today and do these checks, I would like to note that the fuse near the battery is blown, but I thought this was for the lights on the mower. If it is for something else, then I need to figure out why it is blowing the 20 amp fuse. I think, but not sure, one end is connected where the battery ground cable is connected to the frame. I am not sure where the other end is connected.

Old 08-27-09, 09:26 AM
Originally Posted by 31YTech View Post
Make sure when you installed the new solenoid you put the smaller red wire on the large post going to the battery, Not the one going to the starter.
The above red wire is the wire to the fuse holder, If the fuse is blown and/or the wire is not hooked up as above the unit will not start. That fuse energizes the whole wire harness.....

Old 08-27-09, 10:36 AM
Troybuilt Mower Won't Start

How should this wire be connected? From the large post of the solenoid to the wiring harness or from the ground connection on the frame to the wiring harness? When I changed the solenoid, I thought I put all the wire back wherethey were on the old solenoid, so maybe I am get a higher voltage or amperage from someplace that is blowing this fuse.

Old 08-27-09, 03:42 PM
Here is a wire diagram, Trace the wire from each component to see if it's wired correctly.

Old 08-28-09, 01:39 PM

Here is what is happening. The Green wire with the fuse near the battery is blowing, and is preventing the mower from starting. From the electrical drawing that I have, all the green wires are connected together in one way or the other. What is the best way to figure out where the short is?

Old 08-28-09, 01:59 PM
Troybuilt Mower Won't start

The voltage on the Green wire when I turn the key is 12.3 volts. The red wire is connected correctly on the solenoid.

Old 08-28-09, 03:41 PM
The Green wire with the fuse near the battery is blowing
Something just doesn't sound right.....

Can you tell where this green wire is connected and can you get me the serial number off this machine ?

Old 08-28-09, 04:25 PM

The wire is connected to ground wire of the battery. Here is a link to a diagram out of my manual, and I have circled/star the fuse that keeps blowing. I have the wire to to light disconnected, so the short is not in the lights.

Lawn Mower (Michael's Miscellaneous Pictures)

Last edited by mtj8617; 08-28-09 at 04:30 PM. Reason: Adding link instead of picture.
Old 08-28-09, 07:20 PM
OK Michael,

Looking at your diagram it shows you have a electric PTO clutch, My dealer's site shows you have a manual lever deck engagement ?

According to the diagram and what you've explained it appears the problem may be a short in the systems indicator monitor on the dash.

Don't worry about the fuse on the green wire right now, Un-plug this indicator and see if the engine cranks.....

Old 08-29-09, 09:27 AM

Yes, The engine now cranks. Is it safe to operate the mower without the indicator panel plugged in? I assume that I now need to replace the indicator panel?

Old 08-29-09, 01:36 PM
Well,

You won't hurt anything running it up-plugged just keep a eye on the oil level. Check the safety switch functions by raising off the seat with the clutch out, Then with clutch out and the deck engaged if your worried about being safe.

If all the safety switches work it's up to you if you want to replace the indicator.

Least get out there and get that grass cut if they don't work until you can get the indicator, Just mow smart and safely.....

Old 08-29-09, 04:02 PM

I had to charge the battery, because I left the key on. Now it won't crank with the indicator disconnected. I know it cranked earlier with after I disconnected it, but it won't crank now. I attached the indicator again, but it keeps doing the same thing. I also replaced fuse with the indicator out, and it still won't start. I am confused now. I thought we figured it out, but now it has totally confused me.

Old 08-29-09, 05:23 PM
Has someone got a curse on you ? LOL

When you say "won't crank" do you mean it won't turn over or it turns over but won't fire up and run ? Any noise at all ?

I believe I mentioned the fuse on the green wire has nothing to do with the start circuit.

Did you check the other fuse (red wire) going to the solenoid ?

That fuse supplies power to the "B" post on the back of the ignition switch, When the clutch pedal is pushed the safety switch closes and lets power (when key is turned to start) run from the "S" post on the ignition switch to the small spade connector on the front of the solenoid then the solenoid kicks in and the starter begins to turn.

Sooo, Check for power on the spade connector on the solenoid with the clutch pushed and key in start position.

Old 08-29-09, 06:11 PM
I dont know anything about lawn mowers, but i have worked on cars a bit here and there. How well did you have your starter checked. The symtops you describe of it working sometimes, and being dead other times sounds like it could be a starter issue with the brushes or something. In some spots in the rotation it makes fine contact, where as if you turn it off and it lands on a dead spot you will get nothing but the solenoid click next time you try it.

Ive had this happen to me once in my car... just another idea to throw out there since nothing else seems to be working.

Old 08-29-09, 06:27 PM

The same thing it was doing before. Starter clicks the first time, and then there is nothing when I turn the key. I checked the valves and they are still okay. I will check the voltages and fuse in the morning, because its dark here.

Old 08-30-09, 07:45 AM
Put a test light on the post on the starter side of the solenoid & when the solenoid just clicks, tell us if power is available @ that post....& when the engine does crank,(or the solenoid clicks) what is the voltage @ the battery with the key held in the start position???.... Have you tried to boost it from a known good battery??? Roger

Last edited by hopkinsr2; 08-30-09 at 07:54 AM. Reason: another question
Old 08-30-09, 10:52 AM

I went out this morning and checked the fuse on the red wire and it was okay. I tried to start the mower and it cranked up and I cut my grass with the indicator module connected. I am not sure if the mower will start again, but I got my grass cut. I have no idea why it started this morning and not last night. Maybe its a morning mower. Maybe the curse is lifted on Sundays. I am massively confused with this mower, so don't be surpised if I come back next week with the same problems.

Thank you so much for your help and patience. I could not have trouble-shot this without you, and I have learned a lot in the process.

Old 08-30-09, 03:10 PM
I am massively confused with this mower

In all honesty..... I am too, It's one of those cases where I wish I could stick my arm through the monitor and fix the dang thing.

Bookmark this thread and add to it when it doesn't start again so we don't have to go hunting for previous post/info.....