Mower blows white smoke

Old 08-01-09, 06:36 PM
Angry Mower blows white smoke

OK, received 7yr old Snapper mower with fresh gas and not so fresh oil. BUT mowed my lawn til it ran out of gas (about 3 separate runs). Had at least 3yr old gas in a can in the garage and used it. Meanwhile bought and used 30W oil, possibly adding too much.

The first time the smoke appeared was while mowing, I leaned over to pluck a weed and let go of the grip causing the motor to shut off. BUT I noticed this and squeezed grip to continue running it. Two seconds later, White Smoke and dead.

Let it cool a bit then started it again. Cut a row of grass and smoked again. Today changed the air filter, emptied old gas, put fresh gas in, started it and cut about 3 rows before it smoked again.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-09, 08:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You said possibly too much oil. Is it or not? Possibly the reason.

I'm surprised it ran on 3 yr old gas. You may wind up with more problems from pouring that in it.

Old 08-02-09, 06:13 AM
white smoke i believe is from water in gas , drain the tank and check the carb make sure it's good and clean, when inspecting the carb you'll prob. see and whittish color on the inside, clean it. maybe rebuild

Old 08-02-09, 10:36 AM
Could very well be

because condensation builds up in the can of gas over 3 years mixing water with it. May sound silly but how do you drain the gas/oil? Yesterday I tipped it upside-down to get ALmost all of it out.

Old 08-02-09, 11:07 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Water in the gas is not the cause and doesn't cause white smoke, but draining it would probably be a good idea since it's so old. I suspect you overfilled it with oil and it was burning some of the excess off.

Old 08-02-09, 07:57 PM
the dipstick is tough to read

for some reason. The bottom where it says add is dark brown and wet while the full area is so slightly greased that I have to clean it to see if anything is on the rag. i guess it is overfilled, but when i take the cap off it's smoking so it's tough to see what's in there.

Again, i changed the gas, the air filter, did nothing with the oil. Started her up. She eventually smoked 3 times while cutting 3/4 of the backyard lawn, and never started again after the last smoking. And I pulled like a madman

Old 08-02-09, 09:03 PM
what cheese said, most likely the white smoke is from

oil , ie overfilled crankcase

i used to mechanic at a auto dealership and one time while doing a major checkup (in the 70s) on a car, i was using the ceiling mounted oil line with the auto dispenser that had a counter on the handle showing how much oil had been pumped - someone distracted me while i was pumping in new oil, and it went past zero without my noticing - so it ended up with 10 or more qts in the crankcase

i started engine to let it run so i could check filter etc for leaks before taking it out for road test, went up to parts counter to get something, looked back - you'd thought the car had one of those smoke generators that acrobatic airplanes use - you could not see the back end of the shop

drop your oil, refill with exactly the amount the owner's manual sez and try it then

Search this Thread