Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

kohler CH20 engine PTO seal leaks

08-01-09, 07:36 PM   #1  

Hello,
On my 1997 Toro 5XI kohler CH20 engine I have replaced my PTO seal and it still leaks when at high RPM not at idle. Could the oil pressure be to high? If so is it possible to adjust it. It leaks all the oil out when I mow 2 acres. Before I changed it I lost 1/2 qt each mowing. I was very careful putting it in.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

08-01-09, 08:37 PM   #2  
Is that the only place that leaks? It sounds like a bad seal, or maybe the spring came out of it, or the housing or shaft got damaged during the change.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

08-02-09, 06:24 AM   #3  
ditto on what cheese say's......... i just replaced the one on my briggs and also thought i was carefull but after i put it on and got it running it leaked as bad as before i replaced it. i took it off and the spring was out of it. i got a new one and even then had a hard time installing it the shaft fits really tight around it i finally put some oil all around the shaft and the seal and got it installed but it was fun!

08-20-09, 09:10 AM   #4  

Thanks for the replies. I found a repair manual online and it said to check the breather so even though the engine is very clean inside (cause I use synthetic oil) I took the breather apart and found that it had two reed plates instead of one. I removed one and that stopped the oil from the PTO shaft leaking. Now I have to pull the engine to get to the rear shaft cause it is leaking now.
When I removed the original seal it was very hard. I had assumed that was what was my problem. Also I had pulled the cover off the engine and misaligned the governor gear when replacing the cover so will have to replace that assembly.

Search this Thread