Honda GX-390 seized

Old 08-06-09, 01:26 PM
Honda GX-390 seized

I have a 5 year old PowerEase pressure washer with a Comet pump and a Honda GX-390 13 HP engine . I have used it regularly(2-3 days a week) and maintained properly. Last year I slowed down using it only once a month. About 3 months ago, it was froze up and I had to break it loose very physically with a belt and a bar to get leverage.After that I could start it with the cord and every time I used it I would remove the plug and put oil in to help lubricate the shaft. This worked until last week and now I can't break it loose. Has it seen its last days? I don't need as big a washer nowadays, so is it more cost effective to purchase a new one? That particular model is about $1,100 and the least expensive GX-390 I could find was $600.00. Thank you for your time

Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-09, 01:46 PM
The locking up isn't likely the engine, but the washer. If you had to break an engine loose like you're describing, it wouldn't run very long.

Old 08-06-09, 05:45 PM
I tend to agree with marbobj, If this is a direct drive (pump bolted to engine) unit remove the pump and test run the engine again. Some of these pumps have a small hole in the side near the engine, This is to insert a allen wrench to loosen a set screw holding the pump shaft to the engine crankshaft.

You may find it cheaper to purchase a replacement pump for your engine (if it checks out fine) than the purchase of a smaller non-commercial machine.

Good Luck

Old 08-08-09, 09:15 PM
Thanks for your response. It makes sense. I remove the pump & see what happens.

Thanks again

Old 08-23-09, 09:30 AM
My GX 390 13hp did not come with a manual. I'm clueless as to where the hose to the wash bucket is suppose to be attached on the pump. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 08-23-09, 01:03 PM
There should be a 1/4" barbed fitting on the manifold near where your pressure hose connects.