Lawn Boy 10697 vs. Troy Bilt TB340XP

Old 08-07-09, 12:21 PM

Anyone got an opinion on Lawn Boy vs. Troy Bilt? Looking for at a residential push mower in the $350-400 range, and I believe it might be down to these guys. I have the specs comparison below, if you want to check it out. Otherwise, just tell me what you think about the quality of construction of the two brands.

PRICE -- Exact same price, except I would have to pay 6% sales tax for TB --- slight advantage: LB

ENGINE -- LB = Honda GCV 160 vs TB = B&S OHV 755 --- Is the Honda better than the B&S here, or does the B&S get the nod since it is bigger?

TORQUE -- LB = ? vs TB = 7.75 ft/lbs --- Difference is probably unnoticable?

DECK -- Both are 21" steel

WHEELS -- LB = 8" vs TB = 8x12" --- Advantage: TB

FUEL TANK -- LB = .29 gallons vs. TB = .4 gallons --- Advantage: TB

BLADE BRAKE -- LB = yes vs. TB = no --- Advantage: LB

TRANSMISSION -- LB = Sens-a-Speed (auto variable) vs. TB = 6 speed manual --- Slight advantage: LB?

MOWING HEIGHT ADJUSTMENT -- LB = Each Wheel vs. TB = 1 lever --- Slight advantage TB (not that big of a deal because I can't remember the last time I changed the mowing height)

WEIGHT -- LB = 91 lbs vs. TB = ?

WARRANTY -- LB = 3 yrs vs. TB = 2 yrs --- Slight Advantage: LB

PARENT COMPANY -- LB = Toro vs. TB = Briggs & Stratton --- Advantage: ?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-09, 03:42 PM
Well I am a bit biased. After selling Toro products for over 30 years, I was very impressed with the quality of their products and their customer service. I would definitely recommend Toro over Troybilt.

Troybilt is not made by Briggs and Stratton, they are an MTD product, I also was an MTD dealer and can say that their customer service is terrible.

As for the engines, some will give Honda the nod over Briggs, I think they are pretty equal and could not recommend one over the other. I think engine wise, you can't go wrong with either one.

Old 08-07-09, 08:38 PM
why would you have to pay sales tax on the Troybilt and not the LawnBoy?

Old 08-08-09, 04:39 AM
Originally Posted by indypower1 View Post
why would you have to pay sales tax on the Troybilt and not the LawnBoy?
The Troybilt would be purchased at my local Lowe's, which would have to charge sales tax. The LawnBoy would be purchased over the internet, from a website that offers free shipping and doesn't have to charge sales tax.