Craftsman 25cc Weed trimmer

Old 08-07-09, 05:38 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Craftsman 25cc Weed trimmer

Hi All!

When I try to start my weed wacker, in order to get it to start, I have to leave the choke at half and keep the gas handle completely depressed. As soon as I release the gas handle, the engine stalls out. Sometimes I can get it to restart immediately, other times I have to let it sit for a while. I was able to determine that it has a Walbro WT carb. I am most definitely NOT mechanically inclined so I am trying to avoid diassembling the carb iif possible. Any thoughts? Thanks

Old 08-07-09, 06:42 PM
Received 59 Upvotes on 53 Posts
Would you feel comfortable removing the muffler? Sometimes the muffler get clogged...well actually the spark arrestor...and causes this problem. Remove it and try running the weedeater for 10 minutes or so without the muffler. Then reinstall the muffler and run it some more. At least 1/2 hour.
It lets the exhaust clear itself with the muffler off and then cleans the muffler after you reinstall.
Do you use more than the required mix of oil? In these things it needs to be right on the mix and a good quality oil. otherwise it plugs things up pretty easy.
Good luck. There is a youtube video on this problem if you need to see it. Search for weed trimmer problems on there to see it. I think.

Old 08-07-09, 10:49 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
You can try backing out the mixture screws a little, but I suspect you have bad fuel lines, primer, and/or carb problems.

Old 08-08-09, 08:29 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Update

Thanks everyone

I noticed that I had pure gasoline (with no 2-cycle engine) in there, so I added the oil. Plus I noticed that the fuel line was partially disconnected from the carb, so I reconnected. Now, it starts ok and seems to idle ok (maybe a little faster than usual). However, the depressing the throttle has no effect, even when I move to no choke...it just continues to idle at the same speed. Thoughts?

Thanks again

Last edited by seanf12; 08-08-09 at 10:28 AM. Reason: Updated again
Old 08-08-09, 10:53 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Air leak. Could be in a lot of places. If it was run any length of time with regular gas, it may be ruined now anyway. It may have melted seals and be letting air enter a number of places.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: