Bolens Riding mower, not turning over, not the starter.

Old 08-07-09, 07:05 PM
Bolens Riding mower, not turning over, not the starter.

We have a 2004 bolens riding mower,13AM662F765. The drive belt went bad, uncle and dad replaced it. Up till replacing the belt, the mower was running and engine turned over fine, now since they replaced the belt 2 days ago the engine will not turn over.

When you turn the key it tries to, but you just get an initial start sound and then a hum, like something is binding. I checked voltge at the starter and we stuck another starter in, but that didn't fix it. I think they did something wrong underneath with the belt. It seems very tight, is it possible that that could be keeping the engine from turning over. I know they did not drop the lower deck to put the belts on, they did it from above through the battery opening and shifter opening. Any ideas would be appreciated.

I have checked the fuse under the control plate by the shifter knob, checked the starter and battery.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-09, 08:34 PM
almost sounds like they put the belt on the wrong side of the tensioner pulley and it is keeping tension on the belt all the time keeping it fully engaged causing the engine not to be able turn over.

Old 08-07-09, 10:23 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm guessing they had the mower tipped to change the belt? If so, remove the spark plug, tie the coil wire out of the way and make sure it cannot spark, and crank the engine over to blow the gas and/or oil out of the cylinder. Grab some rags and put them in front of the plug hole before doing this to catch the gas and oil as it sprays out.

Old 08-08-09, 07:41 AM
Alright did as cheese asked, and nothing blew out. I checked the oil, dad added too much, it's not super high, but it's close too 1/2 inch above the recommended level.

Also I do not think i am getting any spark at all, whats the best way to see if I am?

I, read up on how to check for spark, I have no spark. I am thinking maybe they messed up some kind of safety switch. I know there is one at the seat, is there another one that is easiley disabled, or a way to by pass all the safety switches?

Also checked under mower, where the belt goes around the pulley right up under the engine, it is bound up against the frame, at the spot where the pulley is raised towards the engine. I do not see how a belt could run like this, it would be shredded if the mower cranked.

Think I am going to take a pic and post it.

Last edited by fraustymower; 08-08-09 at 08:13 AM.
Old 08-08-09, 08:34 AM

does that pic look like it is installed right?

pic isn't embedding, here's the link

IMG_3877.jpg picture by friarfraust - Photobucket

Old 08-08-09, 10:50 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The belt is on the pulley right. The other likely options would be that the battery is low or the valves need adjusting.

Old 08-08-09, 11:36 AM
yeah, belt is on pulley all the way around. But I am not getting any kind of spark on the plug. My uncle said you don't need spark for it to crank though...

Old 08-08-09, 03:58 PM
It's the battery + a bad cable, should be running tomorrow.