Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Overheating (?) JD lawn tractor

IL

08-08-09, 03:01 PM   #1  
Overheating (?) JD lawn tractor

I think my JD 155 lawn tractor is overheating. After running about 1/2 hour is simply dies. It will then backfire on attempted starting. After cooling, no problem starting - but cycle repeats. Today's weather: 90+F, Midwest humidity.

I have already removed the engine (Kohler CV15S - 15 HP) cowel and cleaned out the mouse debris. (Ongoing problem.) No problems with the Big Three (fuel, air, spark). Any advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

08-08-09, 05:33 PM   #2  
Sounds like a failing ignition coil.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

IL

08-16-09, 09:11 AM   #3  
Thanks. Is this a difficult repair? Where is the coil located on this? 'm a fair Ishade tree mechanic and usually keep the mowers running, but have not done this.

IA

08-16-09, 11:34 AM   #4  
It mounts close to the flywheel and gets its signal from the magnets on the flywheel. There's a couple of small bolts that mount it. The gap between the coil and flywheel is a standard .010. Most of us put a business card (or about) between the coil and flywheel magnet, let the magnet draw it down against the card, tighten the bolts, turn the flywheel a little and pull out the card.

Just pull off the flywheel shroud and you'll see everything.

Search this Thread