How to Adjust Governor 22hp v-twin B&S

Old 08-09-09, 10:55 AM
How to Adjust Governor 22hp v-twin B&S

Anyone know how to adjust the governor on a 22HP V Twin B&S? I just had it rebuilt and my uncle who did it is about 65 miles away. I don't have time to load it up and take it up there. Is there an online manual I could follow.
The engine w/ the throttle all the way up just isn't like it was. Its not even powerful to push the grass all the way up the chute, so I have to mow the lawn w/o the bagger and then pick it up later when its dry.
When I start it w/ the throttle all the way up, when I put the throttle all the way down, its a very very low number rpm difference. I do not know the specs but say the engine is at 1000RPM at start w/ throttle full, but at lowest throttle its 800. This is just an explanation of how it is.

Thanks in advance!
Chris

Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-09, 01:38 PM
Chris,

What you are explaining is the high speed RPM's are set too low, This has little to do with the governor adjustment. Also, During a engine rebuild it's not necessary to fool with the high speed adjustment.

It's possible all it needs is the throttle cable adjusted, With the engine off and the throttle control set to wide open position loosen the cable retainer clamp on the engine. Pull the cable housing until it's snug then re-tighten the clamp and test run.

Good Luck

Old 08-09-09, 02:18 PM
Great I will try that. My uncle is really busy and squeezed me in. Replaced both pistons, valves, put new fuel hose on, filter, battery, tire tube, spark plug, air filter, and charged me 350. Not bad in my book. Down where I live it would have cost me about 700 or more. My dad told me it might be the governor. I thought it would be the throttle adj. also but he said no ya can't? He used to own the tractor so I figured he would know. Its a MTD 46" cut. About 10 yrs old maybe a bit less. Well I'll look into that tomorrow. Thanks for the info.