25cc engine shut down - not seized

Old 08-09-09, 04:03 PM
25cc engine shut down - not seized

I have a Toro (homelight motor) 25cc modular weed trimmer that shut down the other day. It was running perfectly and started to act like it was out of fuel. It shut down and I gave it a pull and it restarted just fine, ran a few minutes and "sagged" and shut down again. Now it wont start at all. Here is what I've done ...

I pulled the plug and replaced it with a new one and still nothing.
I tried to see if there was spark and could not see one but I'm not sure if I would in daytime.
The piston moves freely when pulled so its not seized.
My fuel oil mix is just right so that's not it.
I pulled the fuel line from carb and pressed the bulb and fuel squirted out so there are no clogs in the line.

I'm very mechanically inclined but don't have a history of good luck with small motors... which I'd like to change with this one. It seems I should see some spark and thought maybe it was a coil. Is there an method to determine if the coil is still good? Do they go bad in the manner I described. Would a carb crap out on the fly like that? I hate to just throw parts at it ... Does anyone have any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-09, 04:44 PM
First on the spark issue, spark is not always bright and easy to see. You can try it in a darker room especially not outside in the sun. I once new an older mechanic who would say "just be a man and grab it. While effective I don't recommend it.

Two cycle engines have a spark arrester in the muffler and they become plugged and can cause it to bog down or not run. This is a little screen in the muffler that can be remove and cleaned.

The next question would be does it fire on starting fluid?

Old 08-09-09, 05:15 PM
thanks for the reply, yea, not planing on grabbing it and seeing if there is spark... is there something my multi meter would tell me? I also looked for the mufler screen etc. Didn't find it but also don't think that would be it, its a really clean powerhead ... I'll try some starter fluid. Should I jet some in the cylinder or into the little aircleaner ?