Rewiring Kohler to Briggs

Old 08-09-09, 05:51 PM
Rewiring Kohler to Briggs

I was able to pickup a 42” Craftsman Lawn tractor 917-273130 in mint condition with a non working 17HP Kohler Pro CV490 engine. The electrical interface between the engine and the tractor is a six plug connector.
Tractor Engine
Yellow Brown
Yellow Brown
Orange Orange
Blue Red
Black White
Red Black

I pulled the Kohler engine and replaced it with my old tractor’s 12.5HP B&S 282707 engine. Now the Briggs simply has a red and black set of wires. The wires from the B&S engine are not connected currently and I realize one day the engine will not start because the battery is not currently being charged.

The engine runs perfectly although if would be better to have the battery charged and have the ignition switch shutting off the engine. I’m looking for some help on connecting the wiring to the tractor six plug connector.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-09, 08:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The alternator wire with the diode goes to the positive side of the battery, either at the switch, battery, or solenoid. The kill wire goes to the wire on the harness plug that is grounded when the key is off or any safety switch is engaged, but open circuit to ground when the key is on and all switches are in the correct position for the engine to run.

Old 12-23-09, 03:28 PM
Thanks, worked like a charm. I actually did as was suggested back in August and forgot to followup within the forums. Thanks for the help.