Gas/Oil in Breather and coming out muffler and

Old 08-09-09, 08:04 PM
Gas/Oil in Breather and coming out muffler and

I have Briggs 17 HP (Mod.#42A707, Type 2653E1) on a Murray Select 42" mower. Previous owner said mower quit with a puff of white smoke last week while cutting grass. When I first tried to crank it, it would turn over slowly a couple of times then silence. I hooked my car battery and it turned over good but did not crank. I removed the air filter and tried it again and it cranked. However, after a few seconds, what looks/feels like a gas/oil mixture was coming up out of a pipe in the breater assembly and out of the muffler. So I turned it off. I cranked it again and it did the same thing. Any idea what this could be and how do I fix it?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-09, 08:33 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds like something is interfering with the needle valve in the carb and it's flooding.

Old 08-09-09, 09:58 PM
Thanks Cheese.
What are your recommendations for servicing this needle valve? Is it difficult to get to? Are there other things I should do in addition to checking the valve? I plan to get after it tomorrow (if I can locate it!)

Old 08-10-09, 10:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You have to take the top of the carb off to access it. Remove the needle, replace it, clean the seat area with a q-tip and carb cleaner, and clean out the carb bowl while you're there.

Old 08-11-09, 09:45 AM
And be sure to drain out that gas/oil mix in the crankcase and replace it with new oil. Gasoline is a terrible lubricant.

Old 08-11-09, 11:28 AM
Here is a link to a blow up / schematic, I have the same engine. It should help you out.

http://www.briggsandstratton.com/mai...=MS0635_LO.pdf

Old 08-11-09, 03:15 PM
Thanks to all for the feedback.

I have the carb off (along with the mainifold intake).
When you say, "remove the needle and replace it" do you mean for me to clean up around the seat and then put the old needle back or do I need to buy a new needle? How do I tell if the needle is bad? My needle is just sticking out of the float, upward at about a 45 degree angle. Is it suppose to move or anything? Also, do I need any special tools to break the carb down and access this needle?

Old 08-13-09, 01:01 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'd recommend just replacing the needle to be sure. It should be able to move as the float rises and falls to align itself with the seat.

Old 08-14-09, 08:25 PM
AMAZING!
I completed all of the suggestion you guys offered and the darn thing fired right up! After draining the oil/gas mixture there was way over a half gallon of fluid where there should have only been 48 ounces.

Thank you all for the outstanding guidance.

Old 08-14-09, 09:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Great! Glad we could help and thanks for the update!