B&S Quantum XM 6.0 HP #12H802

Old 08-09-09, 09:55 PM
B&S Quantum XM 6.0 HP #12H802

I have had my Snapper push mower for 5 years, but have recently started having trouble with it. It got where it would start, but the first time I stopped to empty the bagger then it would not restart until I let it cool down for 45 mins to 1 hr. I checked the oil, plug & changed the air filter on it. I ran it again & started getting a light colored black exhaust (barely able to see it) & it was only every once in a while, not all the time. It started running a little rough so I checked everything again & this time the oil was a little low, but nothing to worry about, so I topped it off, but when I checked the air filter again there was oil on the bottom of the air filter & the plug had been fouled. I changed the filter & plug & it started up again, but still ran a little rough so I didn't do any mowing. I checked everything again & this time had oil again on the filter. I tried to start it after that & now it won't even start. I'm assuming this oil blow means that I need a new engine, but wanted to get someone else's advice on the matter & if I don't need an engine what are some possible fixes? If I do need an engine where can I get a B&S replacement engine online or is it about the same to go to a local B&S dealer to get the engine? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-09, 07:54 PM
It sounds like you have a bad oil breather or had some dirt ingestion and your cylinder and rings may be worn.

Is your oil real dark (black) and does it get this way quickly after an oil change?

Dark oil could indicate wear in the cylinder and piston, otherwise it may just be the breather. Make sure you do not have the engine overfull of oil and that your not tipping the mower on it's side with the air filter facing down when you do any maintenance underneath the mower.

Old 08-10-09, 08:36 PM
The oil does not get too dark. I will try checking the breather, cylinder & rings though. The oil is not over full & I haven't tipped it towards the air filter when working underneath it. Thanks for the help & I will try to work on it this weekend & let you know.

Search this Thread