Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Briggs & Stratton help

08-10-09, 04:37 PM   #1  
Briggs & Stratton help

I have a mower with a B&S 16.5hp vertical engine Model #310707, type 0137-E1 that has thrown a rod. My question is: can I split the case without removing engine from the frame? How best is it to change the rod. Any help appreciated.
Thanks in advance, Dick C.

Sponsored Links

GA

08-10-09, 05:15 PM   #2  
Hi,

I just pulled your engine up on Briggs & Stratton's webpage. You should be able to get there by using this link.

Buy Repair Parts - Briggs & Stratton

In the middle of the page, you will see a little magnifying glass with a link that says Parts Look-up tool. Type in your model number as you did in the post. Should be 310707-0137-E1. That will bring you to a parts diagram for your engine.

Based on what I saw on that diagram, it looks like your oil filter is on the side somewhere and the shaft would be on the bottom, so the main pulley could turn the blade with the belt. Not sure how many bolts are holding that engine together, but I have an 8hp that "threw a rod" per say, but instead, it disintegrated inside the block. I am guessing it seized up due to lack of oil. The person I bought it from let it run out of oil. Anyways, my engine had 3 bolts on the bottom, so I had to pull my engine off the mower part. The good thing about it was there was 4 bolts holding it on. Yours may have 4-6 on it, since it is twice as big as mine. I'm sure dis-assembly would be almost the same. When you buy the rod, you will need some kind of special tool to get the circlips out of the piston. They may have changed them over to the other kind that you can just use a pair of needle-nose pliers to get to it. Once that is done, you may have to replace all of your gaskets.

Hope that goes well for you.

Chris

08-10-09, 05:49 PM   #3  
Thanks Chris, I'll look up that site. I was hoping that removing the bolt on the belt pulley and splitting the case that the crank and cylinder would come up out of there. Pushing 71 and a stroke victim makes laying on the ground in a gravel driveway far from an enjoyable experience!
Dick C.

GA

08-10-09, 06:30 PM   #4  
True, I hear you there. Do you know if there is a bolt holding the pulley on? That is great if you only have one bolt. Mine has 2 set screws that I had to use a 3/16" hex wrench on it. I broke my hex wrench trying to get the set screws loosened. When I broke it, I reverted to my 3/16" hex bit with a ratchet adapter. That worked great there.

One other thing to note is that I just checked on the connecting rod on Briggs & Stratton's site and they want $70.80 for it. If you go to

Grisham's Lawn and Garden Superstore : ROD-CONNECTING 692419, they have it for $58.30. O'reilly's Auto Parts has parts for those engines.

Hope that helps,

Chris

Search this Thread