b&s 24hp intek no power

Old 08-11-09, 02:42 PM
b&s 24hp intek no power

i bought a 2003 craftsman dyt4000 24hp v-twin intek 0168-e1 and its not running well. at first it seemed to run good,until i engaged the blades.i seem to lose 90% of the power. the only thing i have done to it was adjust the valves, new plugs,air cleaner.one of the head gaskets was blown when i got it.it has god compression in one cylinder and a little less in the other.it blows smoke out the muffler like something is building up .i dont know if its just not creating enough spark to burn the fuel or if i got a major problem.i only paid $300 for it and had no idea of the problem.when its fixed i know it will be worth it,but how much do i need to spend.the shop just wants me to buy a new engine from them.any help would be great

Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-09, 03:07 PM
Can you post the engine model and code number. 0168-e1 is the type number.

Did it have these problems before you adjusted the valves?

What was the compression in each cylinder?

Did you install correct spark plugs, Champion RJ12C, or equivalent?

My guess will be carburetor, fuel pump or valves.

Old 08-11-09, 07:45 PM
model 445-777.my neighbor did the compression test and i dont know the pressures. i put the correct plugs in.could it possibly just be the oil rings shot

Old 08-11-09, 08:46 PM
Originally Posted by dually View Post
model 445-777.my neighbor did the compression test and i dont know the pressures. i put the correct plugs in.could it possibly just be the oil rings shot
130 in one 110 in the other

Old 08-12-09, 07:43 AM
Attempt to get engine running without losing power before focusing on other issues. Start by cleaning the carburetor, totally disassemble and CLEAN EVERYTHING. An inexpensive spray carburetor cleaner is all you need unless the carburetor is severely varnished and gummed. Use pieces of copper wire to clean and probe passages.

Did it have these problems before you adjusted the valves?

What is the engine code number?

Was engine cold or hot when compression test was performed? Performing the test with engine is hot is the preferred method but is not always possible. Best way to analyze cylinder and valves is a leakdown test, more later if it comes to that.

Troubleshooting:

http://www.smallenginesuppliers.com/...ompression.pdf

Parts List:

http://www.briggsandstratton.com/mai...=MS6099_LO.pdf

Search this Thread