Toro rider lower belt problem

Old 08-18-09, 05:34 PM
Toro rider lower belt problem

First, thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide! I have a 2 year old Toro LX466 (46") from Home Depot. The lower belt has come off the pulleys. The belt appears to still be in great shape and I just need to put it back on. The manual has instructions for replacing the upper belt. The manual says to contact a Toro dealer for the lower belt as a special tool is required. There is a diagram on the mower deck which shows how to run the lower belt so I see where it needs to go. I cannot get the belt to go around all of the pulleys as their is not enough slack. I have not been able to find any pictures or instructions on how to replace the lower belt for this mower online. Is there some trick to disengage or release one of the pulleys to get the belt back around all of them? I hate to take this to a dealer when the belt is not even broken. Thanks again for any help you can provide.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-09, 06:15 PM
Originally Posted by Jaybird123 View Post
The manual says to contact a Toro dealer for the lower belt as a special tool is required.

Hahaha.......

The left hand idler pulley (sitting in seat) is mounted to a spring loaded arm that puts tension on the belt.

Route the belt around all the pulleys as the diagram shows leaving the left blade spindle pulley for last, Now.... Start the belt on the back of the pulley (closest to the rear tire). While holding pressure keeping the belt in the pulley reach under the deck and grab the blade and turn it to roll the belt all the way onto the pulley.

Guess my hands are special tools !

Old 08-18-09, 08:29 PM
Thanks 31yTech. Yeah, I couldn't believe they put that in the book. It came off without a "special tool" so I knew there had to be a way to get it back on somehow! I will give this a go tomorrow and post how it turns out.

Old 08-19-09, 07:18 PM
Wink Thanks 31YTECH!

You are the man 31YTECH! ...Released spring on left side pulley which took the tension off the belt allowing me to reline around all pulleys. Worked like a charm and probably took 15 minutes (only because it was first time I had done this and took off top housing covering left side pulley to get to things easier). Will take 5 or 6 minutes if it ever happens again now that I have done it before. With your knowledge, my hands became special tools themselves (laf)! Thanks again for the help, MUCH appreciated!

Old 08-19-09, 07:58 PM
No problem at all, Glad to help.....